Sleep Apnea

Started by Kizzie, August 16, 2018, 04:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I had a sleep study done a few weeks ago and found out I have severe sleep apnea. I don't know if the apnea is caused by/related to the trauma I experienced, but it sure doesn't help.  The type I have (there are different types apparently) means I do not get into REM sleep because I am constantly waking up due to a lack of oxygen.  In turn this means I am not rested which I suspect likely exacerbates the symptoms of Complex PTSD, and maybe even have something to do with the type of dreams I have (anxiety/rejection related).  :Idunno: 

I hope it may help to have the machine (CPAP) that helps with making sure I get enough oxygen while I sleep. I have my second sleep study tonight with the machine and then will be trialing it for a few weeks so fingers crossed.   :zzz:   At the very least I hope sleeping more deeply will help with the energy I need to deal with Complex PTSD.  :yes:

Jdog

I will be sending peaceful thoughts your way in hopes that you get answers in your quest for more rest for your body, mind, and spirit.

Contessa

I hope you are able to get the sleep that you need Kizzie, and it translates to more peaceful dreams and days following a good rest :)

Kizzie

Tk you both  :hug:   We'll see how it goes - hopefully it will make a noticeable difference.

Libby183

All the best to you Kizzie.  I really sympathise with the effects of poor sleep from breathing problems as I am suffering from sinusitis,  which I was surprised to read is very much linked with PTSD. 

Kizzie

Sorry to hear that Libby, I have sinus issues too but hadn't heard it is also connected to CPTSD.  Some days it feels like everything is somehow tied to trauma  :snort: 

I actually had quite a bad day yesterday after the sleep study as sleeping with a mask on and electrodes all over is not the easiest thing to do and I did not sleep much.  I could hear a younger me shouting "I just want to go home" most of the night.  The whole thing just triggered a lot of anger & despair over all that has gone wrong physically because of this &*^%$ CPTSD.  Sometimes it is hard to accept how much I have lost to trauma.   :'(

Blueberry

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you for that loss, Kizzie.