Memory probelms

Started by malt2018, August 22, 2018, 12:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malt2018

Does anyone else have really bad memory problems? I have huge problems remembering parts of my childhood even up as far as my teenage years and mid 20's. My mother was an alcoholic who would be dry for weeks on end and then go on week long binges. When she wasn't drinking she was amazing but when she was she was a horrible person which obviously left its mark. Anyway, when I recall my childhood it feels like I only have a 'handful' of the same memories. For example, my grandmother was alive until I was 13 and I barely have any memories of my time with her despite knowing she was a big part of all our lives. Anyway, my therapist says the memories are there and have just been suppressed due to my brain suppressing the negative ones to protect me and it is just a matter of uncovering them. I am beginning to get fed up as I have been in therapy a few years now and there is no sign of them returning. I don't even know how to go about helping/ Could they just be gone forever? What types of therapy might help with this? I want to remember the good memories

jamesG.1

Hi

this is very typical I'm afraid. But stay with the process and give it time. Better not to be impatient as the recovery is different for each person and you have to allow the thing to happen naturally and it won't be rushed. Trauma will numb down all memories, both good and bad in its effort to protect you from the worst. Best thing is see this as normal and natural and allow your increasing understanding to work its magic. Knowledge is power, read as much as you can about C-PTSD. Your brain, though it can feel totally the other way around, actually knows what it is doing and is working to protect you.

Give it time.

Kizzie

Hey Malt, I moved your post a I added this sub-forum yesterday given so many of us do have memory issues. 

I have "swiss cheese" memories too unfortunately.  There's a good infographic that might help explain why we do suffer memory issues.  It can take time and patience to recover memories as James suggests.  Our brain protects us from trauma until we can handle the memories and that's not a bad thing when you think about it . The fact that you are now wanting to recover them may mean you are ready to do so. Perhaps your T and you can talk more about whether and how to do so? 

fullofsoundandfury

My memory is appalling and it does bother me. I've missed 90% of my life. It is all a huge blank. People will recount memories to me and I have zero concept of them.

Bummer  :stars:

It is what it is, could be worse.

Ellis

Quote from: fullofsoundandfury on November 28, 2018, 07:57:08 AM
My memory is appalling and it does bother me. I've missed 90% of my life. It is all a huge blank. People will recount memories to me and I have zero concept of them.

Bummer  :stars:

It is what it is, could be worse.
I relate to this a lot and it saddens me a bit.