Fear of sleeping? (TW)

• 3 Replies

SharpAndBlunt

• View Profile
Fear of sleeping? (TW)
« on: August 26, 2018, 04:34:42 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else sometimes has a fear of going to sleep?

I had the dream below a few nights ago and since then I haven't been sleeping well.

Now I'm really tired but don't really want to go through that again. It might take me up to a week to forget about it. I find this kind of thing seems to happen every so often and makes the days a bit harder when I am so tired through lack of quality sleep.

TW
The other night I had a disturbing dream where I was with old friends, but I had done something wrong, yet I didn't know what it was. They were being quietly but openly hostile to me (we were watching sports on TV in this dream) and eventually I kept prompting them to tell me what was wrong and they just said 'You're vulnerable, you're vulnerable' while pointing at the TV. They repeated it twice just like that while still keeping eyes on the TV. It was a really weird dream. I didn't like the feelings at all, and I haven't seen these people for years
End TW

Just re-reading this back has given me an idea where the sports on tv thing has come from, but I'm going to let that sink in. I hope this post is not too weird!  :blink:
Fine right up until the moment I'm not

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of sleeping? (TW)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:07:23 AM »
Not too weird at all. I've seen others in the past mention the same. When I'm going thru a period of bad dreams, I'm apprehensive about falling asleep but I would not call it fear.

Hope this is better for you now. Sorry my reply is so late, just saw this.
Be willing to be a beginner every single morning. (Eckhart Tolle)

Sceal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »
Several times in my life I've had terrible fear of going to sleep. So much so I'd do anything to keep myself up and awake for days at an end, I do not recommend it. It makes everything, all the other symptoms tenfolds more worse.
Perhaps  you could watch something as you fall asleep. Scroll through pictures of cute baby animals, or listening/watching a standup comedy show you like, or watch a friendly tv show you've watched a million times before so you know it's safe and it doesn't require you to understand what's going on as you slowly drift off to sleep.

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:49:42 AM »
I can relate to this really well. My fear takes the form of breathing difficulties, much like an asthma attack. I've noticed that if I lay on my back and am watching something on a mobile device, all is well. My mind is distracted. Yet when I put out the lights and turn on the side, it starts. Shallow breathing, or labored breathing.

Regarding dreams of people far back in your past: yes me too. Actually within in the past few days. My personal interpretation is that something in the day just gone by has had elements or shades of psychic "nuance" which reminds you of those people long ago. And then the brain manufactures a scenario which you fear so that it all blends together like a toxic stew of sorts.

Lack of sleep actually causes perception impairment and an inability to regulate emotions well. I understand the heavy emotional "hangover" that comes with these experiences. My philosophy is to accept that it will happen sometimes, find as many lessons as possible while staying fairly neutral, and then resolving to go ahead with your day and trust that you'll learn what you need to via other people, spontaneous "enlightenment" or spiritual guidance.

There's an e-book called Why We Sleep which sheds some light on the function of dreams. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/21/why-we-sleep-by-matthew-walker-review I read some (but not all) but would still recommend it due to it's solid research.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~Lao Tzu~