Hello Everyone (and thank you)

Started by petrichor, August 27, 2018, 08:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrichor

Hi,

I recently discovered OOTS and have been lurking a bit on the forum after reading through the site. I am still processing finding out that C-PTSD exists and that I am a survivor of it and just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone involved in OOTS.   

I have been putting off writing an introduction because of what I'm sure a lot of people will understand - the fear of being judged and not being able to explain myself properly. But here goes. I am in my late 20's and have experienced what I now know to be C-PTSD since I was 15. It has effected my life in so many ways: I find it hard to maintain friendships, have a history of panic and eating disorders and take medication for depression and OCD. The longest I have managed to keep a job for is a few months and quite a few times I haven't made it past training/ the first day and I have 3 attempts at further education under my belt.

Things changed last year when learned about recovery and found an amazing community of people and support in my local area. I completed courses on self-care and self-management, developed my own WRAP plan and completed training in peer support. I feel like I've found the missing piece of the puzzle by discovering this site (if that makes sense) and can move further into recovery now I have a name to my experience.

I'm going through a relapse at the moment - but won't go into detail right now - and have been filling in the Symptom Tracker Form and plan to take it to an upcoming appointment with a psychiatrist at my local CMHT (community mental health team) to discuss.

Thanks again

:)

x

Londongal

Quote from: petrichor on August 27, 2018, 08:09:25 PM
Hi,

I recently discovered OOTS and have been lurking a bit on the forum after reading through the site. I am still processing finding out that C-PTSD exists and that I am a survivor of it and just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone involved in OOTS.   

I have been putting off writing an introduction because of what I'm sure a lot of people will understand - the fear of being judged and not being able to explain myself properly. But here goes. I am in my late 20's and have experienced what I now know to be C-PTSD since I was 15. It has effected my life in so many ways: I find it hard to maintain friendships, have a history of panic and eating disorders and take medication for depression and OCD. The longest I have managed to keep a job for is a few months and quite a few times I haven't made it past training/ the first day and I have 3 attempts at further education under my belt.

Things changed last year when learned about recovery and found an amazing community of people and support in my local area. I completed courses on self-care and self-management, developed my own WRAP plan and completed training in peer support. I feel like I've found the missing piece of the puzzle by discovering this site (if that makes sense) and can move further into recovery now I have a name to my experience.

I'm going through a relapse at the moment - but won't go into detail right now - and have been filling in the Symptom Tracker Form and plan to take it to an upcoming appointment with a psychiatrist at my local CMHT (community mental health team) to discuss.

Thanks again

:)

x

Welcome  :) I'm a lurker and new joiner too! Your post really got me thinking about self management, it hadn't occurred to me that courses like that exist so I'm going to investigate. What's a wrap plan?

It sounds like you have a solid foundation set, I think the symptom tracker is a great idea.

Fen Starshimmer

Hi Petrichor and welcome to OOTS.  :heythere:

Congrats on making the switch to participating. I have always found the forum to be a great place to connect with people who understand, and feel supported, and I hope you will too.

I know relapses are common and we shouldn't judge ourselves harshly about them. Hoping that you are having a good day today. All those steps you have taken recently towards healing are really impressive... I like to think of recovery as a personal project, a kind of adventure, as the learning and growing continues, and emotions are healed, perspectives open in new ways. It requires patience, but it's all well worth it to get to that place of inner peace and self-acceptance.