Fixation on the catastrophic

Started by Amadahy, August 28, 2018, 08:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadahy

Hi, y'all,

C-PTSD ain't for the faint of heart!  I feel like it's two steps forward and three back.  Group hug.  Deep breath.   :hug:

I can go along pretty good for a while and then something (usually minor) will happen and I really blow it up in my mind with the very worst scenario possible.  My rational (ish) brain knows all is well, but my body reacts in sheer terror.  If I am not careful shame creeps in and just perpetuates any trauma I am feeling. 

I am doing tapping (emotional freedom technique) and craniosacral therapy which is helping. I try to eat well, supplement and practice self care, but there are times this is almost debilitating. 

Does anyone else experience similar? (I really hope not!!). But, if so, how do you cope?

Thanks.  Bless ~~  :wave:

Blueberry

Amadahy, that sounds as if you're maybe experiencing Emotional Flashbacks (EFs) when that happens. On here http://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?board=57.0 you can read all sorts about EFs, including What Helps with EFs?

If I understand you correctly, it does sound familiar, though I don't get it so bad anymore. If it is directly cptsd-caused, then you may need more extensive therapy than 'just' EFT and craniosacral. I use EFT myself but it doesn't heal everything. I have different tools for 'deeper', harder topics.

LilyITV

My mind tends to always go to the worst possible scenario in triggering scenarios too and I feel shame.    I tend to freeze and totally shut down instead of dealing with the minor thing that happens--and then a lot of the time the minor thing turns into a major thing because I didn't deal with it when I should have. 

I have no advice, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone.  I am still working on identifying when I am triggered.