Self critical thinking

Started by Eyessoblue, September 02, 2018, 08:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyessoblue

Hi, I've posted on here quite a lot recently about nlp and changing how we feel about ourselves.
I'm a long term cptsd sufferer but just want to emphasis to you all how much nlp has helped me. I know I keep going on about it, but out of all the hundreds and years of therapies I've had this is the one that is totally transforming me.
Just simple word changes can change a day for me, instead of can't and shouldn't, don't etc I totally change it into positives. The positive affirmations I hold about myself now are what give me the drive and belief in starting each new day as a new one and giving me the determination to keep going. Every small job i do I now affirm it positively and tell  myself well done, it does really change how you feel about yourself, it's only taken me a few weeks but I can both see and feel the change in me.
Believe me, I was the most negative person always looking Down on myself for everything I did, but now it's not like that. Positive self talk really does change the wiring in the brain and every task seems easier now to me.
I'm finally on a winning streak and loving the change in me, I just want to try and get it out there for others to see how it can help,too, it's not an over night miracle cure but if you can put that effort  you will get so much out of it. Please try it for you!!!x

Wattlebird

Hi Eyessoblue
Can you explain what nlp is? Is there more to it than thinking in a posative way, it's so easy to slide back into negative thoughts and a defeated attitude I was wondering if there was more to it.
I'm so glad it has helped you, it's so encouraging to see people gaining power over their trauma, keep up the good work  :applause:

woodsgnome

I know I've said this in other threads, but one's word-choices can end up being highly influential in terms of my reactions and feelings about the world around me and beyond.

Having spent so much of my early years in hyper-religious schools, I soon learned that I could not rely on the abusers' words to mean what they were supposed to. Words like love were thrown around with abandon (although neither parent ever used it), but the actions belied the hypocrisy of the speakers. When this dawned on me, I started to, in a way, develop my own vocabulary with which I did self-talk. Mnd you, the inner critic worked just as hard to circumvent my 'word rebellion'). Nonetheless, that helped at times, even if it made for yet another agonizing choice on how to survive what was thrown my way.

So along with my hyper-vigilance, I couldn't trust the words I was hearing either. While this was and is problematic, it ironically even helped me--as an improv actor in adult life it gave me a new freedom and appreciation for words and their impact, inside me and on others.

I never studied the formal versions of NLP that are out there, but based on my personal experience,  it can be highly effective if one has or can develop the inner resolve to notice what's going on with language around you. To make a difference with this language reprogramming involves yet more painstaking work to shovel out from these messy lives we've ended up living. But I've found it's work that can have meaningful impact, too.

thetruth

Hi,

Thanks for introducing me to NLP. The concept sounds very real and helpful.

Is NLP  similar in its theory to CBT and if there are differences what are they?

This is very interesting, I'm keenly aware that if I am to empower my mind to cope with some trying life events I need new thinking skills to get there. It's all about thinking right, especially in the most difficult times.