"...sometimes it's shame"

Started by coda, March 10, 2015, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coda

For a long time I've been trying to write a post on the role of shame in C-PTSD, and how it can overtake us. Depression is the word I've used (and even that took me a long time to admit to), but it's never been adequate. Neither have meds or therapy. This morning, the NY Times has a feature article in their "Couch" series about psychotherapy:

"It's Not Always Depression" by psychotherapist Hilary Jacobs Hendel. Here's the link:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/its-not-always-depression/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

I thought it was illuminating, and addresses the seemingly intractable hold of early & sustained emotional abuse. The reader comments are equally interesting. 

schrödinger's cat

Thanks for the link. I only read the first bit of it so far, but it sounds really interesting, especially this:

Quote...there are basically two categories of emotions. There are core emotions, like anger, joy and sadness, which when experienced viscerally lead to a sense of relief and clarity (even if they are initially unpleasant). And there are inhibitory emotions, like shame, guilt and anxiety, which serve to block you from experiencing core emotions.

keepfighting

This is a very good article, indeed. Thank you so much for posting, Coda!

lonewolf

The quote that you posted, schrödinger's cat, is excellent. I will definitely dig into this article at some point. Thanks for the link coda.

fairyslipper

Coda, that was really good and very hopeful. Thank you for sharing.

Whobuddy

Thank you for the link. Great article. I could really identify with it being more than depression. I was diagnosed many times with depression because I think that is the easy thing for doctors to do. But I knew that was only the tip of the iceberg. I am only now getting to know what the iceberg is made of.

Bluevermonter

My ex spent 20 years on anti- d's and never felt better.  I told her that the last day I saw her.  And thanks to ootf and OOTS I understand why.