Hello all

Started by Lee, September 21, 2018, 01:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee

Hi everyone. It's taken me a while to decide to join this forum because I am so reluctant to have to introduce myself and think about how to explain my story, but here I am, after my therapist convinced me it would be helpful (and he's usually right). I just want to keep it brief, so basically I am a 42 year old mother of 2 boys, still processing trauma from my childhood and adolescence oh so slowly...it feels like complex trauma will always be my defining characteristic at this point. I grew up with a mother and stepfather who were abusive, negligent, toxic in every way, and a father who came and went in and out of my life as he pleased.

I'm married but lately am more and more aware that my marriage has many echoes of my traumatic family relationships. My husband isn't abusive, but I'm realizing how frequently (like multiple times a day) many of his behaviors trigger flashbacks and I'm feeling concerned for my own sake and for my kids'.

Anyway, that's a little about me. Thanks for reading!

Boy22

Welcome Lee.

I too am a recent joinee to the forum and have already witnessed the care and help offerred by other members.

:grouphug:

woodsgnome

Hi Lee  :heythere:

So I've been on here quite a spell, and I have to say I'm in a better state of being than when I first shyly joined on. I'm by nature somewhat skeptical, but I was also getting to a point where I sensed I had to find some fresh perspective on this ride through *.

I've been (usually) pleasantly surprised at the depth of feeling, understanding, and hope against all odds that here at least parts of the mess will become a bit clearer. Given the nature of what gets discussed, the trail out can be rough, but I'm glad I at least have tried to be present, contribute where and if I can, despite lots of self-doubts that I have anything useful for others.

I hope you feel free to share whatever you feel you'd like to address. It's a given that a lot of what gets discussed won't be comfortable, but at least here one has the freedom to feel like one is safe about just being themselves.

Deep Blue

:heythere:
Welcome Lee.  I was like you when I first joined.  I was timid and had been in therapy already.

Now I am so thankful to have this place. In some ways I wonder how I ever managed without it.

Lee

Thanks for these responses! It's nice to read them. xx