Treating Trauma-Related Dissociation: A Practical, Integrative Approach' - TW

Started by Hope67, October 09, 2018, 06:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

Wattlebird

I've read the first 13 chapters, I especially appreciated chpt 8 talked about developing an inner sense of safety, my t was also talking about being more compassionate with my parts so I have been working on that while reading on, I am reading through end to end and then going back and working thru each stage (good idea hope It suits me perfectly ) 
Chapter 14 talks of traumatic memories and triggers I read part of the chpt and took a break, I just wanted to touch base here and encourage you to keep up your work as well  :applause:

Hope67

Hi Wattlebird,
I am so happy that you are reading this book - it feels like you're a companion along the journey - I appreciate you touching base here and also sending encouraging words - and I want to also wish you encouragement in return.  I think you're very sensible to pace yourself in the way you're doing - I have been trying to do the same thing - it's been quite over-whelming on occasions - infact a lot of the time, but I am really finding the content of the book to be really useful, and I relate to so much of it.  I'm on Chapter 17 at the moment.  However, that has been heavy going, and I have a few stressful appointments to attend this week - so I'm going to probably take a bit of a break from the book, and maybe pick it back up on the weekend, or even early next week - depending on how I go. 

Good to know we're both feeling that reading through and then going back and working thru each stage - is a good way - sounds positive to me.  I'm with you on that plan.  Definitely!

Hope  :)

Hope67

Just wanted to say that I've finished reading this book - and am currently allowing my brain to settle and process in the background.  However, I do intend to start going through it chapter by chapter - and was wondering if maybe I should start that process in the section called 'Book Talk' and head the chapters appropriately - i.e. Chapter 1, then Chapter 2 so that there are separate threads, and then anyone who wanted to 'talk' or 'comment' on the relevant chapter - could do so.  I know there are a few of us reading it - i.e. Wattlebird and Boy22  and myself - and maybe others too.

I think we're all on different chapters - so maybe if any of us decide to comment on a chapter - that person could start the Chapter title (if it wasn't already done) - and the rest of us could then write in it.

I don't know - I am just putting this forward as a potential - my inner critic is telling me off for suggesting this - saying I am annoying, but I was just thinking that it would be great to be able to 'talk' about this book - and share our experiences of it.

I'm having a break today - in terms of focusing on relaxing and therefore not planning to do any self-help reading today. 

Wattlebird

I think that's a great idea, then we can actually have it more organised to follow for late comers, or for different paces, it will be much easier, don't harass yourself it's a good idea

Wattlebird

I'm up to chpt 18 I'm struggling a bit more with the talk of emotions, so I'm going slow as I'm struggling a lot with this subject atm, given current circumstances but I still am keen to work thru it all

Hope67

Hi Wattlebird,
That's great that you like the Book Talk suggestion - I am gearing up to starting with Chapter 1 again soon.  I know I've been avoiding a bit - but maybe I can phrase that in terms of pacing myself better.    I hope you're managing - because I know you said Chapter 18 was emotional - I agree - there are many triggering parts - I find that I have struggled - but like you, I am also keen to work thru it all as well.  Good to know we're both reading it and getting something from it.

Wattlebird

Hi hope,
I am up to around chpt 27 inner child stuff, I found this chpt hard going, but I'm getting there, keep finding myself dwelling on crapola and not actually taking in what I'm reading. So I do small chunks, most of the chapters I'm fine with though. So I might read 3 chapters one day and then take 3 days to read another chapter but I'm not pushing myself too much which is nice.

Hope67

Hi Wattlebird - I think you're doing really well - you're pacing things and not pushing yourself too much - and I think that's really sensible.    I just tried to work out whether I could add to the 'Book Talk' section - but it wasn't as easy as I thought it might be.  I saw there is already a section about the book 'Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation' - which I think was the earlier edition of the book we're reading?

I was going to start a title of Chapter 1 of 'Treating Trauma-Related Dissociation' by Kathy Steele, Suzette Boon & Onno Van der Hart (2017 edition) - as I re-read it today and was thinking of reflections to say.  For some reason I can't seem to work out how to put it in 'Book Talk' - maybe I should put it in this section - in a new thread?  I don't know. 

Anyway, I wonder if my inability to work this out is down to my being a bit phobic about writing about my parts - I know some of them are more keen for me to do that, and other parts aren't so keen.  I realise a conflict there already - but I really valued re-reading Chapter 1 today - I found it much more emotional than I did before - I think I might be processing things more.

Wattlebird - I just wanted you to know I am hoping to write Chapter 1 as a heading - once I work out where best to put it and how to do it.  Good luck with your reading - I think it's a great book.

Wattlebird

Hi hope I can start the thread in book talk if u want but I understand if you want to do it as well, I'm in the last section about relationships, I really related to the decision making section, I felt like showing my hubby what goes on when I need to make decisions but then thought maybe I'd be wiser not to show him, he might just decide I'm too crazy after all.
I liked your letter to your parts, maybe make an agreement with your parts that if all parts don't want to share something you won't share it, then they may be less defensive, and won't be working against you. Not sure if it will help but just saw the inner conflict your having, I am also very cerebral about all this stuff, hence the stumbling block at emotions, but we are working on that in therapy. Your doing well Hope keep up the good work.

Hope67

Hi Wattlebird,
I've just read your reply here, and I've only just posted my attempt at Chapter 1 - it is here:
http://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=11206.0
I have no idea if it's the right place, it appears in the Book Talk - underneath it - I woke up this morning and was feeling like I wanted to 'do it' - so it's done!  At least we have Chapter 1 now, and basically we can start the new chapters as and when we want to - i.e. you or I, or anyone else who wants to - I appreciate you offering to do it today - I was struggling yesterday!  I feel sure it was resistance on behalf of some of my parts, but thankfully today - I was just able to do it. 
I really like your suggestion to make an agreement with my parts - I will think about that and hope to do that.  Thank you! 
I am really happy you're doing this too. 

Wattlebird

Thanks hope
Good going, I will have a look at the link when I'm done, 1.5 chapters to go and easy subjects for me, well not too hard I should say.

Hope67

Wattlebird

Hi hope
I've got an older edition and the chapters are different, of course I've been struggling with this dilemma, eye roll, not sure what to do wether to contribute on your thread or just  :Idunno: not sure how different it will be