Secondary trauma in helping professions

Started by Deep Blue, October 17, 2018, 02:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

The link below is to an interesting article I read recently.  It very much relates to many of us with CPTSD.  We often, have a need to help others because we were not helped ourselves. (That's how I feel anyway).

This article shines a light on this.  It talks specifically about educators, but I think he relates to anyone in a career field that helps others.  Sometimes I am triggered by things in my student's lives. When that happens it forces me to take a mental health day or recalibrate from time to time because the work I do is very important to me.

https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/52281/secondary-traumatic-stress-for-educators-understanding-and-mitigating-the-effects

Elphanigh

Thanks for sharing this. It explains a lot from when I worked in a school, and my experience with the kids that did have a lot of trauma. I worked in an inner city school with younger grade school kids, and so much of that rang true with my experiences. I had no idea at the time.

Kizzie

Tks for sharing this Deep blue, it's important for those in the helping professions to recognize that dealing with someone else's trauma in one way or another is or can be traumatizing. Expanded trauma-informed treatment, services and support are so needed  :yes: