Diy EMDR?

Started by just_me, October 31, 2018, 04:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_me

Hi I have been doing weekly EMDR sessions for the last 10 months, which have been very painful but I have persevered and I'm now beginning to see the benefits.

However I would like to keep the momentum going and wondered if there are any emdr exersices or something similar I could do at home?

Thanks

Three Roses

Hi - I see this is your just post, so welcome!  :wave:

As far as I know EMDR is to be administered by a trained professional only. Maybe someone else will have suggestions for you though, I've never had it before.

Blueberry

I don't know about EMDR, it not being a method used for me. My T encourages me to use a different method at home on my own, though I'm still pretty reluctant. However, he encouraged me. So how about you ask your T what s/he thinks about that?

One method you could use on your own is EFT, emotional freedom tapping. If you google it, you'll see demonstration videos. I find that EFT doesn't process at the same deep level as the other method my T uses with me, but it still helps.

btw welcome to the forum  :heythere:

sanmagic7

hi, and welcome,

i'm an emdr therapist and my suggestion is also to talk to your t about this.  usually, it's not encouraged to do full-fledged emdr eye movements by yourself, but there is a 'butterfly' hug that can be used at home for relaxation or to bring down anxiety.  your t might be familiar with this and teach you how to do it.

the reason it's not recommended for you to do emdr by yourself to yourself is the chance of being triggered by memories, thoughts, or feelings that may come up and overwhelm you.  i believe it's always best to have a professional there with you in case that might happen. 

wishing you the best, and sending a caring hug to you, justme.

johnram

to the OP, how are you doing EMDR at home?