Intro post, starting therapy soon and looking for encouragement!

Started by nevareallysure, November 01, 2018, 08:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lricord

Taking it "one day at a time" may have been coined by 12 step programs but feel it's a philosophy for everyone. Sometimes we can only take our day a minute at a time. I've been in recovery from alcoholism for 11 1/2 years but at first thought it just applied to not drinking but sober I started si again. In trauma therapy I stopped that too but learned my coping mechanisms are all tied in to my "flight" response. You are not doomed at all. I still also get that feeling sometimes usually when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I've adapted "one thing at a time" to my day too like just getting out of bed some days. So glad you got to therapy yesterday. sounds like you really got honest with your therapist too. Telling her about your substance abuse is also getting honest with yourself. You are moving forward and that's great. The only way we would be doomed is by choosing to just stay stuck in our trauma and decide to keep living there. This recovery is hard. I keep coming across how healing is often 2 steps forward and 1 step back but you're still 1 step ahead and how it's often just baby steps forward. You took a big step forward yesterday. Taking that walk is very positive. You did something rewarding for yourself. Hugs to you on your new journey :cheer:

Three Roses