New Blog Article about Parenting with CPTSD

Started by Kizzie, November 05, 2018, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Parenting and the Legacy of Trauma, our new blog article by Joyelle Brandt, survivor, author & parenting coach is now available here

Kizzie

Last two days to post a comment to this article  :)

Blueberry

I made a small comment a while ago. I didn't want to write more since I'm not actually a parent, but really the article was an eye-opener for me about many things!

Definitely speaking as Blueberry here, not as mod, I'm quite surprised there haven't been more responses. Seems to me there's a lot of food for thought in the article. This isn't intended as a criticism of anybody. There could be many reasons for not responding.

Kizzie

I thought it would get more responses/comments too - maybe it's b/c many of us are on the older side? :Idunno: 

Deep Blue

One thing that stood out to me was this quote:

One of the most challenging aspects of becoming a parent as a trauma survivor is the lack of control.

This is a trigger I've recently become aware of with my son.  I can't control if he gets sick, or that he has eye problems.

I have panic attacks and depression and GI problems as a result of these triggers.

Didn't see many solutions offered in the article... it seemed to mostly sum up my life  :Idunno:

Three Roses

I don't usually read the blog, my concentration isn't what it used to be; I especially didn't read this article as I do not think I was a good parent. It wasn't for lack of trying and I realize that while I may have done the best I could, it doesn't feel good enough. This is A VERY triggering subject for me.

Blueberry

Kizzie

Tks for the feedback, good to know. 

FYI I am going to ask Joyelle to write about what she and her group have come up with for dealing with parenting. As always I will post a notice.   :)

Blueberry

Thanks Kizzie, that sounds like a good idea. Then those of us who want can take the ideas a bit further. I'm just not in a place to do that atm though I'd like to for the sake of my godson.