happy st. nick's

• 1 Replies

sanmagic7

• View Profile
happy st. nick's
« on: December 06, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
i don't know how many of you celebrate st. nick's day, but it was celebrated in my foo, and i kept the tradition alive with my own girls.  it comes from several european countries, two from which my grandparents immigrated.  it's based on the belief that on dec. 5, children would put their shoes outside the door, and during the night st. nicholas would bring candy and fruits (usually) to fill their shoes.  in the morning, the children would discover their treats.

we used socks pinned to the sides of our beds when i was growing up, and i made stockings for my daughters to use.  in my hometown, there were a lot of families who originated from those european countries, so most all the children were able to share about what goodies st. nick left for them the night before.  it was a fun event.

to share this with all of you, i'm bringing oranges, apples, and those colorful red, white, and green hard christmas candies.  hope you all enjoy - it's for the child inside all of you.

Elphanigh

• View Profile
Re: happy st. nick's
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
That is a beautiful tradition San. I have a friend that lives in Germany that celebrated it yesterday with her daughter and I got to learn about it too. It was really fitting to come here and read even more about it today  :hug: