CPTSD and RAD

Started by Encontrada, May 06, 2015, 12:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Encontrada

Everyday I deal with a daughter who threatens multiple harmful things to herself or others, especially me. They say she has RAD, but it's impossible to ever be open to a connection with her because of this, and because of my own issues with CPTSD. Has anyone ever dealt with parenting a RAD child?

spot

I was diagnosed RAD as a child. Do you have any specific questions about it? I stopped feeling so out of control and wanting to hurt myself or my mother so much after about age 16. We have a kind of relationship now, I'm almost 30...not what she had ever hoped, but it's something. I still don't feel able to connect with people at all often.

Kizzie

Are you referring to Reactive Attachment Disorder Encontrada?  Are you and your daughter in therapy at all?  If not perhaps that might be something to look into given you are dealing with attachment issues.

Spot did you go to therapy and is that what helped in your case?

Encontrada

We are in some family therapy.. and sometimes it seems to help, but then it feels like everything is sliding backwards all over again.

Kizzie

Hi again Encontrada. I don't have insights to offer other than keep on going to therapy if it's helping, but I will say that maybe coming here will help you and if you begin to feel better it will likely trickle out to your family.

Re RAD specifically - It's been a while but you could post a few questions for Spot or even send a personal message to him/her as you would get some insights from someone who can tell you about it from a child and adult 's point of view.