JDog's Journal

Started by Jdog, May 07, 2015, 10:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deep Blue

Jdog,
That sounds like something I've done with students too.  You are incredible and I'm glad you were able to get through it.  Even as I read your entry I could see the heavy weights getting added one by one.

Kudos to you for not letting it keep you down.  I'm glad to see you building up the strength and doing some self care too.  Much love darling  :hug:

sanmagic7

you know, sweetie, having worked in a school situation before, it just grinds my gears when i hear about cutbacks and such.  been there, done that, and it was such b.s.   :pissed:  i'm just really glad you feel appreciated.  you are a special kind of teacher and only deserve the best in one of the toughest jobs ever.

as far as that gritchy parent, why isn't she seeing the homework/test grades as the semester goes along?  that's on her to be keeping up with her kids' progress or struggles in school.  dang!

so, there's my little rant, all in your favor.  i think you're great.  love and hugs, jdog.

Jdog

Thanks, friends.  Yes, parents are sometimes looking for excuses when their kids screw up academically.  Back when there were no electronic ways to check on grades, it seemed like thee were also fewer people looking to blame me for not jumping in and doing parents' work for them.  It's all very confusing to me.  Sometimes, the more tools people have the less they want to utilize them.  What's that all about?  Guilt?  Overwhelm?  I had a little run in with a student who should not even be in my class as he is emotionally incapable of functioning in a mainstream environment, but his Mom insists that he be in regular classes.  And, when he inevitably gets to the point of needing to be sent out, she accuses me of not following his IEP or Behavioral Intervention Plan first.  All I want to do is teach and help people, not constantly be trying to protect myself from crazy parents and incompetent school boards.  It's exhausting.

It feels good to rant.  Now, maybe I can go back to trying to be gentle with my wife instead of being petty and distant.  Sigh.  I'm tired, and we have to work an estate sale tomorrow.  Hey, at least it's not grading papers.

Three Roses

Hope the estate sale goes smoothly!  :)

Jdog

Yes, I am looking forward to that distraction!  Thanks 3 Roses!

Deep Blue

Jdog,
I feel ya girl! Even though parents can check in on grades, they want us to call home and and not email to inform them.  It ends up that the teacher does more work than the kid who fails the class.   :stars:

I totally agree that there always seems to be something.  When do we get to teach? A parent's blame, a speaker, testing, read this, check attendance for that, it's like aaaahhhhhh I just want to do my job!

Have a nice weekend, hope the estate sale goes well  :hug:

Jdog

DB/

It's so good to have a fellow teacher to listen to me and confirm my frustrations!!! Thanks so much!

The estate sale is off to a slow start....hoping for more customers as the morning progresses.   It's chilly here, so people may still be having their coffee.....

Jdog

Things went  well yesterday at the estate sale,  and my wife and I got along so well. I got home before she did and put some cookies in the oven so that the house smelled nice for her when she got home.  We had cookies and decaf and watched a Christmas movie.  Today, we went to an historic town  which was all done up for Christmas and learned about the history of various residents and businesses and ate soup and cookies.   On the way home we went for dinner.  What a nice weekend.

I have an accute awareness that I have more healing to do.  What  is new is that I accept myself more than before and this lets me accept my wife also.  There is shame still and loneliness and depression, but keeping my heart open to me lets me be more available to others.

Wattlebird

Sounds nice those cookies, accepting ourselves and the trauma is the only way to heal ( that I know of ) it's hard but so much better than living in denial, I'm glad u had a nice time with your wife  :thumbup:

Deep Blue

Love you Jdog!

I have more healing to do too. Glad we have each other to lean on  :grouphug:

sanmagic7

sounds like a lovely weekend.  love your acceptance, sweetie.  i agree, there's more healing to do, but i think acceptance goes a long way toward that end.  love and hugs.

Jdog

I am lucky to have you, too, Blue!  Love you!

San-acceptance is a daily challenge, and it's a sobering task but a better way to go than alienating myself from myself.  Thanks for the love!

Hope67

Hi Jdog,
I hope you and your wife are doing ok - and I am sending you a hug  :hug:  I'm glad to see that you had an enjoyable day together at the estate sale.  I bet those cookies smelled gorgeous.  Christmas movie too - that sounds really lovely.  Glad you had a lovely weekend.
Hope  :)

Jdog

Thanks, Hope!  This past weekend we went to a little town and sold things at an indoor flea market.  It was like going back in time, since it's a tiny town with one Main Street and no stop lights at all.  The people are friendly, a bit quirky.  But it was low key.  I am in my last week before Christmas break now.  It's a bit of a frantic time, and I look forward to a nice, slow two weeks off.

Deep Blue

Same and same!

Last week of school and it is a bit frantic indeed!

What Christmas movie did you watch? Do you have a favorite?