What Meds have been very helpful and effective for people on here?

Started by Unconcious_Ghost, October 09, 2014, 08:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryAnn

I have been taking Setraline (Zoloft) for about a year and half.  Started at 50mg and now am at the max dose of 200mg.  It helped my depression but I struggled with concentration and focusing.  It was nerve racking because I would just freeze and found it difficult to do my work.  Took Xanax for awhile at night.  It really didn't help so stopped taking it but I think all of these medications react differently depending on the person.   I am now taking Wellbutrin, it is an SSRI like Setraline but it is the only one that works with dopamine as well and helps with concentration and focusing.  It has taken a couple of weeks but it is starting to kick in.  I have gotten more work done than I have been able to in quite some time.  And at night, I am now taking Trazodone.  This is working much better than the Xanax.  I have been able to sleep 5 to 6 hours a night straight thru and have not had any nightmares or EF's in about 2 weeks.  Much better than 2 or 3 hours at a stretch and waking up in sweat scared to death or screaming.   Hope this helps....

MaryAnn :wave:

arpy1

hi MaryAnn, just read this post and your post in the physical ailments thread. 

i was interested in your ongoing joint pain and stomach problems. and the fact that you were on sertraline for a while. 
i was on sertraline for a number of years and around the same time, developed joint pain (osteoarthritis) and also lymphocytic microscopic colitis.  when i did a bit of research i found that both these conditions can be caused or exacerbated by longterm use of sertraline. i'm afraid i can't recall the sites i looked at, so can't give you any links. but it might be encouraging to know that now you are off that partic. drug things may start to improve a bit.

russ1116

Quote from: Sasha2727 on October 20, 2014, 12:35:34 PM
Hello,

I have read that stimulating antidepressents combined with traditional med are good for the overfucused ADHD type. I know that I was prescribed Tramodol a while back and I felt like that stuff gave me the motivation and clear mind that Adderall has not. anyone know anything about this? I know its a pain killer but it did wonders for me!

Tramadol is a serotonin agonist and an awesome antidepressant, it does wonders for most folks. Off label of coarse.

spemat

I take 200 mg of Lamictal at night because nothing else helps mania.  60 mg Dexedrine tablets for ADHD because Adderall tablets required 90 mg and I didn't like it because it calmed me down..  I take PRN doses of Klonopin for PTSD flare ups.  Antidepressants make me manic so.  I have been on this combo since 2007 and it keeps those issues level but this lingers still.

Lottina

I'm on 3mg Risperidone and 60mg Prozac.
The Risperidone knocked me out at frst like sleeping for 18 hours a day but my body got used to it and it's done the trick, I started off on 1mg and it's been increaded. Prozac started on 20mg and thats also been ncreased and seems to be working. I feel emotionally numb but I can't tell whether thats dissociation or the medication

Three Roses

Welcome, Lottina! Glad you've joined us.

When I started on prozac, my mood swings went from high peaks and low valleys to a flat line. Gradually my emotions started coming back.

ComplexHeart728

I have been on Seroquel 150mg per day for almost 3 years now.  I am also on 20 mg of Lexapro per day.  Both have been very effective for me.  Especially the Seroquel.  I have minimal side effects.  I still feel emotions but the Seroquel does keep them from being super intense. 

Kizzie

Wow, it's been a whole since anyone posted here!  Thanks for sharing your experience with your meds ComplexHeart. I was on Prozac for decades and it just kept me afloat emotionally.  Then I had a really bad stretch about three years ago and was switched to Celexa - what a difference it made! Not everyone has positive experiences with meds but it made a real difference for me, gave me the energy to get going on recovering rather than surviving.

Candid

Quote from: arpy1 on September 16, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
i was on sertraline for a number of years and around the same time, developed joint pain (osteoarthritis) and also lymphocytic microscopic colitis.  when i did a bit of research i found that both these conditions can be caused or exacerbated by longterm use of sertraline.

It's given me dreadful diarrhea in just six weeks while having no impact on depression. Seeing my doctor again tomorrow. Fed up with all these pills that don't work and/or have bad side-effects.

TinyRhino

Great question.
I was originally diagnosed with PTSD, major depressing and GAD. Sounds like a lot but it can probably all be rolled into CPTSD.
Medications that have been subscribed to me:
Sertraline an SSRI
Prazosin
The SSRI has been extremely effective for me. I cannot conclude that my nightmares have improved though.
I have been very lax about the Prazosin and have not really given it a chance to discern if it is effective or not when coupled with the SSRI.
Although the SSRIs and SNRIs are used for anti-anxiety, I have known people to benefit from them.  Generally a psychiatrist will start you on a very small dose, 25 or 50mg, and you will work your way up from there. I think the highest dose for Sertraline(Zoloft) is 200mg so if you surpass that, you might need to take several meds  to help you continue treatment.

Mindless

Venlafaxine 75 mg.

The doc started me with 37.5 mg for 2 weeks so I could get used to it before bringing it up.  Side effects - I feel a little tired all the time.  There's also a bit of constipation,  though not very bad.  It's the sleepiness that gets me though.