Guests for Q&A on Board?

Started by Kizzie, January 15, 2016, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I did post about this earlier in the fall and got some positive feedback, but  then work got busy and I didn't get back to it.  Anyway, I'd like to revisit the idea of looking for guests to answer questions about CPTSD.  For example, I did ask Pete Walker (author of "CPTSD: From Surviving to Thriving") if he would and unfortunately he is busy writing a new book just now, but did say he would once he was finished. 

If you have any thoughts on this positive or negative, please weigh in here (or PM me).  If it is something you are interested in, who might you be like to have as a guest(s)?

tired

I would like someone to answer questions about how to find help. I don't know what type of professional help I need. If I choose one myself, analyst, medical doc for meds, social worker,  whatever, each will help in their own way but who is going to tell me which one I need now? Is the answer that we all can use help from all of these types of therapy options, and we should pick whatever insurance covers?

I feel like I know what I need but I'm unclear on what type of professional is best for me now.  I wish there was some kind of gatekeeper who could listen to my rambling and tell me how to get help.

Kizzie

I couldn't agree more about having gatekeepers tired.  It's amazing that we have to work so hard to find the resources we need when we're struggling so much.

I was reading one of my books this week and the author had some good suggestions about finding the right help; that is, no matter the  designation (SW, psychologist, psychiatrist), the main criteria should be that the person has trauma training and experience.  I attached a list of ten questions she recommends asking when looking for a T.