TMS

Started by welcome2, February 03, 2016, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welcome2

Is CPTSD have similar general anxiety and problems as TMS?  Pain bodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Sarno

Dutch Uncle

It seems there may be some overlap.
The sparse information in the wiki-link does suggest the two are quite different though.

I'd say it's for the professional (researchers) to figure out if the two are related, and if so, how. (and preferably "why" as well  ;) )

snailspace

I have found the work of John Sarno helpful in dealing with "psychosomatic" pains as it used to be called.  This was before I figured out I have cptsd symptoms and discovered this site and the work of Pete Walker.  For me it's been important to understand the somatic symptoms I believe I have suffered all my life.    Sarno's point is that some chronic conditions which cannot be treated by conventional medicine may have a deeper underlying cause which needs to be addressed.  The physical pain acts as a distraction (which makes sense to the brain) which masks the deeper underlying emotional pain.   This understanding has been really useful for me as I am of the freeze/fawn type and was never allowed to show any feelings.  I didn't know they existed!  But it came out in my body and was often dismissed as "growing pains".  Sarno's work was mostly concerned with patients who suffered with long term back problems, but he later expanded into other areas.  His followers eg Monte Fuelte have looked at RSI.  In UK there is Georgie Oldfield an NHS trained physiotherapist.  She is starting to look at the effects of childhood and how it impacts on later chronic conditions.  I hope there will be more research into this, the mindbody connection.