Eating disorder section?

Started by Dee, August 09, 2016, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee

Eating disorders are a common symptom of CPTSD.  The most common ones are anorexia, binge-eating, and bulimia.  I think that would be a valuable topic.  There are other common comorbid illnesses, but must most are covered in CPTSD such as depression.

Dutch Uncle

Thanks for the suggestion. There are multiple threads on eating in the CPTSD and Us - Symptoms of CPTSD - Health Related Issues section. Is there a specific reason why you want them singled out from other health related issues?

Dee

It isn't really a health related issue.  It is a comorbid mental health issue, one that can be deadly.  It is also very common with CPTSD.  It is such a significant issue that I feel it does warrant it's own thread.  It's just an opinion, the same could be argued for addictions.  Maybe I think of a health issue, such as IBS, as a different animal.  It is hard to explain just how much an eating disorder controls every minute of a person's life and it is all about numbing.  It's a suggestion, not something I feel overly strong about.

Jdog

Hi-

I fully agree that eating disorders are a primary factor in many lives of those affected by cptsd, myself included to a degree.  However, as a person affected by IBS, I want to make it clear that IBS is no less a byproduct of the mental and emotional abuse of the past than are eating disorders. 

Dee

I have IBS too.  However, that is not the daily struggle that anorexia is.  From someone suffering from both, I feel that eating disorders, addictions, take so much more of an effort to recover from.  Maybe a health related section and a mental disorder related section.  I have IBS, anorexia, alcohol use disorder, major depression, and CPTSD.  Wow, I am a total mess, and it sucks.  I also have severe osteoporosis but that was caused from anorexia.

Jdog

Dee-

I send healing wishes to you.  None of those things are easy to love with, and in combination must be very horrible many days.  Take care of yourself, and I hope you can find some joy and peace as you use the coping skills and tools which are available to you. :hug:

Kizzie

Have been dealing with a pain flare up so apologies for not responding sooner. Let me think on this for a day and in the meantime more input from community mbrs is welcome  :yes: The Mods and I will then discuss your suggestion Dee and see what we can come up with. 

One concern is that the board is already big, but it may be that we could add a section on comorbidities and then have child boards (sub forums) for eating disorders, addictions,  etc., where members can explore the relationship between the CM and having CPTSD and share their experiences given so many of us do have both health and psychological comorbidities.

Input/feedback welcome  :thumbup:

Kizzie

Hi again Dee - The board is already quite big and we (Mods) want to keep the focus on CPTSD so what we came up with is changing the name of the current sub-forum so that it more clearly indicates it's for discussion of comorbidities such as eating disorders, alcoholism, etc., and related health/mental health issues.   Hopefully that will work out.