Offensive Language Guideline

Started by Kizzie, October 12, 2016, 06:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Okay, here's what I came up with.  Please weigh in if you have any suggestions.  :yes:

Do not use offensive, demeaning and/or inappropriate language. This refers to any language that is demeaning of others (e.g., sexist, racist, homophobic, calling someone a name such as "jackass") and/or which is considered by many to be vulgar or derogatory (e.g., swearing, using the word "tits" instead of "breasts"). Most if not all members of OOTS have been demeaned through language in one way or another and as such, we encourage writing posts in a manner that is respectful of the trigger potential of language. If you wish to express anger via swearing, we ask that you do so sparingly and use a symbol mash (e.g., %^&$) rather than a word in full or using a mix of letters and symbols ("f**k"). Please note that a filter is in place which screens out most swear words with an "*".

ukulelebadly

Quote from: sanmagic7 on October 13, 2016, 02:25:31 AM
all the words that have caused me emotional harm are allowed on this forum already. 

I'm a big curser in general, but I haven't done so here, because I intuited the expectation (funny/not funny/symptomatic). I did, however, use "effing" recently, and wondered if I was violating the rules.

tea-the-artist

That's too bad about the individual language filter. Hopefully in the future something might come up to allow for that  :Idunno:

Also, while I haven't seen it used, and while it wouldn't specifically apply to me, I think including the word "transphobic" under your e.g list of demeaning language would be important. I'm sure, whether they are out or not (either to their families, friends or this community), there are sure to be trans people with CPTSD who are either already members or not yet members. And I think seeing that specifically listed in the guideline (be it this one or/and other parts of the forum guidelines) is critical and would encourage newcomers to know that this is still a safe place for them as well? Does this make sense? I know it's not a full list, and just an example list... I donno I just feel the acknowledgement is important!

mourningdove

I agree with Tea that transphobic comments should be explicitly prohibited. I've never seen any here, but I never want to. I also agree that it might make the site more easily recognizable as being welcoming to trans people.

Kizzie

Yes, by all means I can include that, tks Tea and MD. 

Have I missed anything else? I'll give it a few more days for anyone to comment and then will change out the old guideline with the new one.

Kizzie

OK, I'm going to post the revised guideline - tks to everyone who gave input/feedback!   :thumbup: