CPTSD Related Work Books

Started by Kizzie, October 22, 2016, 06:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Here are some workbooks that are available online, and/or in print:

The ASCA (Adult Survivors of Child Abuse) workbook  - http://www.ascasupport.org/_downloads/survivor_to_thriver.pdf

Coping with Trauma Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists by Boon, Steele & van der Hart  - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O4RPUPU?keywords=suzette%20boon&qid=1454855893&ref_=sr_1_1&s=digital-text&sr=1-1

If you come across any others, please feel free to add them here. Tks!

Three Roses

Healing Finally

I'd like to share, if it hasn't been shared already, I've picked up a really good book that I'm just starting to read.

The Complex PTSD Workbook
A Mind-Body Approach to Regaining Emotional Control and Becoming Whole
by Arielle Schwartz, Phd
Copyright @ 2016 by Althea Press, Berkeley, CA

Even though I've only read the first chapter, it's been extremely helpful for me.  My eyes have recently been opened about my c-ptsd (thank you out of the fog and out of the storm) and I am feeling reassured that I can now gain confidence again.

It's been very difficult for me to acknowledge and accept my childhood emotional trauma as it was not obvious, but the more I read about c-ptsd, and especially with the help of this book, I am learning how to own my symptoms and work to release myself from their grasp.

Within the Foreword it states:  "Dr. Schwartz makes it clear that complex PTSD is a normal response or adaptation to non-normal life conditions that may be in a person's history." - I can totally relate!

What I really like about this book, and the current findings on C-PTSD, is the positive way of addressing childhood trauma; especially with the latest research on brain neuroplasticity; there is hope and we can change.

Here's a wonderful quote from the book, chapter 5, under "Healing Shame":
"...We cannot eliminate the so-called negative forces of afflictive emotions.  The only way to work with them is to encounter them directly, enter their world, and transform them.  They then become manifestations of the wisdom.  Our weaknesses become our strengths, the source of our compassion for others, and the basis of our awakened nature." - Dr. Joan Halifax, Buddhist teacher and author.

I wish you all strength on your road to recovery, sincerely, Healing Finally.

Hope66

Hi Healing Finally,
I am so pleased to read your recommendation on 'The Complex PTSD Workbook' by Arielle Schwartz, because I'd seen it when I was shopping in Amazon yesterday, and wondered whether it might be worth getting, and you have written so positively about it, that I am going to order it. 

Thank you - it's good to get a recommendation on something - and I am hoping it will arrive soon.  I need some structure, in addition to the support of this forum, and I think the Workbook could be what I'm looking for to keep me on track.

I hope it continues to be a good book for you.

Hope  :)

Healing Finally

You are welcome Hope66  :yes:  Hope it helps!   I also have the Pete Walker book which is good, but he has such a personal spin on his information; this is really a workbook for YOU.

I am so grateful to be finding out about my c-ptsd which has been hidden for so long due to the gaslighting and scapegoating in my family.  Also, I honestly believe my mother has it, as her mother was a malignant narc; wish I could share this with her, but I know she would flip out if I told her that I've discovered my childhood emotional trauma!

I am also educating my therapist, she told me the other day she's been hearing more about c-ptsd as she's been unfamiliar with this "strain" of ptsd.

Now to get back to the book, with the triggering it seems I can only work with it for so long  :spooked: - but little by little, I'm taking it all in and processing it.  :hug:

Hope66

Hi Healing Finally,
The book has arrived, and it seems good so far.  But like you said, it's good to read it slowly and process it at a rate that feels ok - it can be too much otherwise.  I have read Pete Walker's book about 3 times now, and I still struggle to process it, due to my tendency to dissociate etc, but I find it so helpful each and every time I pick it up, so I'll definitely be continuing to delve into it as and when I need to. 
Thanks again for the recommendation on the work-book, it does look really good.
Zest :-)

Oscen

Thanks Kizzie, the free workbook looks good.

I will have a look at the book you recommend, Healing Finally.

Blueberry

Thanks for pointing the workbook out again, BeHea1thy! So much information on this website, it's easy to not check a good resource and then forget all about it  :whistling:  For me anyway.