Body armouring

Started by Boatsetsailrose, November 03, 2016, 11:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Bessle talks in his book about 'body armouring' physically in a hyper alert state ...
I was so grateful to learn to have a name for it ...
I have extreme physical tension throughout my body but esp my upper back, shoulders, neck and head
I watched a video recently of me walking into a party and my shoulders were so visibly raised up and tense
Bessel talks in his book about yoga being so effective for us and I agree
I have also just bought a foam muscle roller to roll out muscles and it is v wonderful , such a good buy ( google to see how to use.. also an exercise band which again I would highly recommend ...
I thought I would share my findings and I would be interested to hear how many of us suffer with 'body armouring

mourningdove

I definitely have this. It usually feels like my shoulders are around my ears! Thanks for reminding me of this concept and for sharing about the foam roller. I am going to look into getting one!  :thumbup:

Three Roses

This is a big problem for me. Throughout the day I notice I'm tensed and uncomfortable and have to concentrate on each muscle group to relax.  :(

movementforthebetter

Yeah, me too. I was happy to learn this is a manifestation of cptsd, and not particularly a thing I was doing wrong. I find it takes so much effort to remain "relaxed" some days that it is physically and mentally tiring. I try to be more mindful of posture now and it sure does take a lot of mindfulness.

I think one of the first times I was really aware of body armouring, before I knew the name, was when I was getting a massage and the masseuse stopped applying pressure, decided not to massage, and stroked my arms for 20 minutes instead. Even then, I just couldn't relax, but gentle touch did feel good. Could use more of that but am embarrased at the thought of paying for touch too light to count as massage.

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you for sharing
Mourning dove I used it for the first time last night and could notice a difference when I went to bed ( and that was just doing 5-10 mins.. I will post a link on the one I bought, it seems good quality

Boatsetsailrose

Oh :( won't let me post a link for some reason ?
I bought it from 'physioworld ' this is a uk company ...
there are many similar foam rollers on amazon
Happy rolling to you :)

Boatsetsailrose

Three roses
I can so relate ,, the tenseness in the body and the breathing too
It does take conscious effort but I'm sure the more we practice and also it seems have practices that we do such as foam rolling, yoga , Pilates , swimming, running or whatever we like doing it will lesson over time. Or most likely it's more that we do these things to counteract the physical stress ...
Stretching I find so effective

Boatsetsailrose

Movement for the better
Hi yes I relate 'mindfulness is such a wonderful practice to learn have you heard of 'headspace' you can get the first levels for free... they are 10minute mindfulness of body breath and mind .. I find them so effective and can be done anywhere ...
I guess for all human beings the body has its tensions and to be realising them and releasing takes effort.. maybe for us it seems more effort have we have more going on to contend with...

Yes light touch is so wonderful .. cats and dogs get it daily hey
I saw a therapist once and she used to stroke my ears ... I would think that if a therapist of whatever kind sees the benefit of light touch then  getting it for ourselves is a gift of kindness ...
I know for me not having a partner and having that touch is an area that I am missing ... I do tend to hug a lot of people as I'm in 12 step recovery so am grateful for that..
I am having my first massage next wk in prob about 2 yrs ! And have made a commitment I am going to book in every other month .. my body so needs it..
I neglect this area thinking 'it's too much money ' but it isn't if I get it every other month.. I met a woman who massages a friend who sings her praises .. I met her and she put her hands on my shoulders and I thought 'yes this woman has it ' she is also a healer so I really like that about her too

sanmagic7

mftb, i think that even light touch, if that's what your body needs, counts as massage.  it's just in a different form, but is no less important or necessary for your particular situation.  how often do we think that because our needs may be different from the 'norm' that there's something shameful, embarrassing, or downright wrong about it?  it sounds like your massage therapist knew exactly what to do, what you needed, and didn't judge you for it, just gave it to you in a concerned, caring way.  you may want to look that masseuse up again.  it's taken me 20 yrs. before i could tolerate a full-body massage, and i still feel somewhat tense.  but it's sure better than it was. 

be patient with yourself.  slow, small steps - we'll get there.