dollyvee's recovery journal

Started by dollyvee, November 25, 2020, 02:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarcKiddo

Money. I know they say "money makes the world go round" and for some people it MOST CERTAINLY does. Everything you have posted resonates with me, and funnily enough money was quite a large part of the discussion I had with my T yesterday. Everything is transactional. And I also understand the fear that someone may take it away.

It's a huge, difficult and horrid topic.

:grouphug:

dollyvee

Thanks NK - I've spoken with t a few months back and I think, along with the Toxic Shame book, that growing up in an NPD household means you are objectified and therefore relationships become transactional, which I think already exists in relationships to some extent. There's definitely superficial parts that appreciates how someone looks for example, but everyone has these? I guess for me, it becomes a sticking point because of how I was treated growing up (where emphasis was literally placed on how I looked at a young age and what my flaws were etc) and I think part of me wants some altruistic (superhuman?) person who doesn't want things like that from me. But I guess the reality is is that that person probably doesn't exist. I'm still trying to work my way around it. Same perhaps with money.

Hmmm reflecting on this, I know I have written that I've forgone relationships because of work (ie money I guess). Maybe that's how it comes into play? It's either survival (money) or a relationship? I guess earning money and being on my own means that I don't have to be at the mercy (or control) of someone else. My gm said she wanted this for me. I can understand why I might feel that way as well given how the relationships with men and women went in the family. As soon as my m had the money from my gf, my sf started acting as if she would leave him and made her change the title to the house to include them both. There was also financial stuff between my gm and gf.

I was speaking to someone the other day who mentioned that their child was helping his partner with the parent's house after the parent passed away. I said, with some cynicism, that it's always difficult when there's money involved, or something along those lines. They said nope, no money, it's all very amicable, and I'm like what? Do people actually go through things reasonably like that? Again, it reminded me of how difficult it is to have to not explain what your family  is like, or to tell them what's going on and have it be so far out of peoples' experiences that you feel you just have to keep it inside.

I guess on the plus side, I've read something in the NARM book which has sort of started me reframing my belief about myself. When I feel like I'm standing up for myself against people who are being unfair, childish, sexist, don't like me etc, when I don't want to take on peoples' snakey/underhanded behaviour (I can see how this relates to my sf, and probably family in general), I think I feel like I'm somehow being difficult. Like I'm being difficult for standing up to other things people can't "see," or that they want to say it's about me. Whether or not that's the case, I can see how I was also the "difficult" one growing up for pointing these things out in my family, for standing up against my sf's treatment of me. I was doing what I needed to do to protect myself in an abusive household (though why is it hard to call it that?) and I wasn't difficult, but every time I try to do these things, that's the image of myself that comes up. Why do I feel I need to "stand up?" I don't know, I guess it's a familiar form of protection. Others might find a way to avoid these people etc, but sometimes I feel like I just "find" myself in these situations.

dollyvee

I guess I feel like it's hard to let someone in who might want to control things because I've had to do it on my own for so long, and if that person leaves, I'd be left having to survive and might not be in a position to do that. This reminds me of my gm, or perhaps a belief of hers that she had. Tho I don't know how much of it, if she was on her own after the divorce, was wanting to be taken care of and not wanting to go out and do things on her own.

In the psychologists reports, he tried to motivate her about reaching out to clients, or feeling like she could reach out to clients, doing the necessary leg work I guess. I think she kept feeling like she was lacking, or not good enough (?), and it was hard for her to do that. She didn't receive any support either I think from my gf, who could be very critical and I'm sure put what she was doing down. If it wasn't known to him, it was probably useless or stupid, or you'd be a fool to believe that. Or he wanted things in his life a certain way, and this was interfering with that. I can't remember his words exactly, but probably something along those lines. I think she preferred being in a relationship where she was taken care of, I guess that safety.

Perhaps I'm processing things and feelings empathetic here, seeing some of myself in my gm, or what I'm taking from their relationship and what my own struggles are. Then I remembered her saying (judging)  that my sgf wasn't that bright, or about what he did for work or something like that, and it cracks a bit. I think it makes me understand my own trigger point, which I've been realizing over the past few weeks, about being lied to. Like wait a minute, I've been honest and believing (with an open heart here), acting with empathy to your situation, and someone has taken advantage of that. Someone gave me the impression that they were going to nurture me (I guess by my own internal guidelines of what that looks like and not being entirely "open"), and I was empathetic towards what they said they were going through, but I don't think that was returned/shared and that equals rage. Maybe most of the time though, it doesn't get to that point because I think I'll shut down and not trust someone, but when I do, it's opening this relationship dynamic.

It's interesting because I was thinking this week that I just feel like I"m being a nice person, and trying to act with an open heart, why does this happen? Writing this out, I can see that being the nice person is what I had to do in my family (because I felt I had to take care of my gm who was going through those things with my gf? But she kept going back to him), and I kept getting lied to/mainpulated/treated like garbage and trying to work things out. I guess it's hard for me to not take that and project it onto other people that I want to care about. It's just easier not to trust them from the beginning (because I'm expected to give too much?)

I feel like I'm so close to getting something here, to making a connection (interesting word), but I can't put my finger on it. That I don't have to be a "nice" person? That the world isn't going to fall apart? That connecting to someone doesn't mean there is deception, and maybe what feels/seems like deception, or being lied to isn't really that? This "narrative' is so locked in. I can't really "feel" this though, just think it.

Looking at what I wrote about my gm above, I can also maybe see why working so hard at something is important because I don't want to end up like that, being the mercy of someone who is treating me badly. Maybe I'm still holding onto this family narrative/dynamic by feeling/thinking that as well (and still trying to save her by working so hard to be on my own? Do the things she couldn't/didn't do?)

Realizing that the statement in bold is a process of disconnection and not trusting people means that I'm disconnecting from them when it's the opposite that I want, connection (and to be understood). But I guess there's also times that disconnection is helpful when people aren't being honest, and here's the circle - when are people being honest? Maybe this is increasing my window of tolerance to give people time to show me if they're going to be trustworthy or not, and if not, it's not my fault (or I won't feel shame for trusting them?).

I'm also recognizing how much of my stuff is a projection onto someone ie that he wants a young gym bunny (gm belief that men will leave you for someone younger); that he's not a relationship guy (that men will leave you); and that I can't trust him (gm saying you can't trust men). The dream I had where she was standing in line, saying that she will buy me an apple juice and never doing that (taking my harmony, pleasure, fertility, sexual awareness etc as per the meaning of apples in the dream dictionary), sort of helps me see that I'm still carrying these beliefs for her and it's getting in the way of my harmony, pleasure etc in relationships. The other part of the dream is where she and I were out on the road, and I was worried/thinking people were not going to think I was a nice person. I see too, how I've been "groomed" from a young age to be like that - be nice and take on peoples' stuff, to not abandon her and help her through her difficulty. The difficult part is that those are nice (that word again)/aspirational things to be in life. I guess it's the feeling like if you're not those things (human basically), then you're somehow flawed. Like I don't get to make mistakes?

I think this is all a bit all over the place. I'm sort of thinking out loud here with some things that are going on.  :grouphug:

dollyvee

So, NARM session this week was...interesting. It always feels like let's dig to the core of the issue and show you your two sides if you can understand and integrate them?

Wee talked about connection and how the feeling of stepping back and not doing so much allowed me a little space. When I try to feel into that space, or think about connecting, I saw a very protective, kind part, that I guess I trust. Like they are doing the best for me. When I try to get that part to step back a bit to allow me to feel the connection, I got something very familiar, kind of a smirk that was like, "you don't know how the world works," which is something I heard a lot growing up. I'm sort of struck now how much it reminds me of the connection with my gm. Something that seems very soft and loving, but if you try to step back from that, and have some independence, you are losing protection and there is danger. At the end of the session, it made me feel very guarded, like oh let's connect and it will be a big kumbaya. I guess growing up I learned that people connect with you because they want something from you, not because of you, and that's a difficult place to be in.

I also felt a lot of emotion around how difficult it was to love my m and gm so much, and watch them destroy themselves, and feel like there was nothing you could do to help them. I don't know if this was helping them so they could finally love me back and I could be seen because otherwise I guess there's a lot of grief and sadness there that's difficult to bear as well.

I also don't really feel like it's the connection that's the problem, or wanting to connect, but perhaps the age of the part that's wanting those things, and if perhaps, they are in "adult consciousness." I also guess that there's a part that doesn't want adult consciousness because it means letting these things go, or what that young part wants/hopes for. Also difficult that I guess those things are never going to be in the world - that love and acceptance? I don't know  what /whyy exactly?