Alcohol...

Started by Twinkletoes, January 16, 2017, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirals

Hopefully she does *fingers crossed* Maybe you could check. If it were me, it would bother me to not check even though I was too depressed to do it in the first place. Then it would just become a new thing to beat myself over the head with while I'm depressed  ???

I'm terrible at remembering personal stuff, too. I don't know if that's comforting, lol. Especially if I get overwhelmed. I usually shut down when I get too stressed and then I feel worse because I wind up making more problems for myself due to missed deadlines, etc.  :doh:

I'm in college and my degree has taken much longer than it should because I'm chronically depressed and stressed. I feel like I burnt out before college but life just keeps piling stuff on me :(

Healing Finally

Hi Twinkletoes (and everyone who posted here)  :wave:

Just wanted to chime in, I have indeed used alcohol as a way of coping with my c-ptsd.  Especially at family functions, I would, as someone put it, get SLOSHED.  I look back and am so frickin sad about it, how everyone use to say "oh poor her, she really has a problem" when the problem was my ongoing anguish due to the scapegoat position I was put in (and later have learned allowed myself to be put in.)

I have had a very intense relationship with both alcohol and drugs, due to the need to numb out, but now I smoke a little pot when I feel the anxiety coming on (it does help me, depending on which type.)

I haven't had a drink in almost 6 years.  I know I've got that family gene where I loose the "off switch" after a few drinks, so alcohol is off the menu for good.  I now understand the c-ptsd really helped to kick it in even further.

Certainly don't get down on yourself, but, I do recommend to look within and determine if the alcohol is more meaningful to you than you may be acknowledging.

Just FYI for anyone who thinks they may have a drinking issue, I have greatly benefited from the LifeRing Secular recovery program, they have a ton of info online and a lot of ways to connect with others like chat, forum, email lists, etc.  The book "Empowering your Sober Self" was a huge positive influence for me.

:hug:  {{HUGS}}