Three good things a day

Started by Elphanigh, April 18, 2017, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elphanigh

I am hoping this is the right spot to post this. I spent a long time trying to decide where I thought it might fit best. To make one of my better days useful to both myself and more importantly everyone here I wanted to share something that has helped me. It is a simple concept, but over time it really does seem to have an affect.

I learned this from someone else, because they were kind to share. Here's the concept:

Write three good things in your day (no matter how small. Sometimes mine were just that I had a good cup of coffee, or that someone smiled at me, or even that I got out of bed) They can be feelings or achievements, whatever you can find that is good. I also write three productive things but that came later. I keep mine in a really pretty journal and occasionally share it with a group online that are all working on this. I thought it would be useful to this group. I know it sounds really small but being able to think about it and then see over the weeks how it gets easier to find something good is amazing. It helps me even on my worst, triggered and down in a dark hole kin of days. I hope it can help someone here as well

Elphanigh

I had a thought and I will share mine, but if you have no where to put them and want to try it maybe just write it in here as a recovery tool. as an example mine today will be a good cup of coffee, someone complimented my outfit, I was able to post here in hopes of helping someone.  :hug: :hug: and encouragement to everyone

Wife#2

:hug: Wonderful!

Three good things: I was on time to work. my dog and her new puppies were ok this morning, the coffee tastes GREAT!

Elphanigh

Wife2 So glad you think it's wonderful. Was hoping it would be for someone  :) Those sound like great things! I am glad for them

sanmagic7

very clever, elphanigh.

my 3 things for today are that i breathed, did my stretches, and talked to my brain in a very nurturing way.

thank you for this.  i look forward to more.

Elphanigh

I am glad to be of some help Sanmagic7. I am so glad your talked to your brain in a nurturing way. That can be so hard

sanmagic7

ya know, it can be hard.  i can hear an underlying voice wanting to berate my brain, take it to task, have those unrealistic expectations of it that were had of me.  i think that's why talking out loud helps (altho i may look crazy to someone else!  lol!) - it overrides anything neg. that might want to sneak in there. 

these are the three things i want to do daily.  thanks, again, elphanigh, for the focus.  lovely.  big hug to you.

Elphanigh

I struggle with the same sanmagic7.  :hug: I am really glad you are trying so hard to work through the expectations that were put on you. If it helps I talk to myself all the time to accomplish it as well, it does truly help lol.

I think those three things are great goals to do daily  :)  You're welcome, I am glad I could be a helpful hand. Big hug to you as well

joyful

My three things for today are:
I ate a good breakfast, I got on here, and I tried to speak kindly and be compassionate to myself after almost rear-ending someone instead of beating myself up about it

Elphanigh

My three things are that it is beautiful outside, I got out of bed on time, I helped another person today.
Joyful, those are great. I am glad you didn't get hurt and were kind to yourself. It happens

Blueberry

Elphanigh, that sounds a bit like Little Book of Daily Joys, except that you're limiting yourself to 3, which could be very good for overachievers / People who put themselves under too much pressure. I kept a a Joy Diary for a few years and it was really helpful.

Three Good Things today: I managed to stay in my Adult person all day while I was with a very young friend; I had fun with my little friend; the sun kept coming in and out all day.

Elphanigh

Blueberry, it is basically that, I have never kept a full one just the three daily one. Limiting it to three was how I was taught, and is really good for my perfectionist brain :)

sorrygirl

I like that, since I have a tendancy to focus on the negative and dismiss the positive.

Today:

- I had dinner with a friend and I told her about my C-PTSD and she was very open
- I love my 2 coworkers
- ...?  :Idunno:

Elphanigh

Sorrygirl, Those are two great ones. I am sure you can find a third before the end of your day. remember it can be super small. I applaud you for finding two  :applause: I know just how hard that is.

woodsgnome

3 things today:

...I hauled about 6 months of accumulated garbage bags to the area's collection center, rescuing the kitchen from gathering point to food area

...speaking of food, was able to dive in to some new yummy items today that I've been wanting to try

...heard from the organizer/facilitator of the attitudinal healing (+ more, I hope) event I'll be attending next week. Little details as I'm coming from a distance and will need some things; she is so helpful and caring  :)

...as a bonus, heard a fantastic cello performance on the radio