worst nightmare in the world... again

Started by mourningdove, April 18, 2017, 11:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElizabethGenevieve

I know this might not help but I completely understand. I have horrible nightmares almost every night, it's so hard to be afraid to go to sleep.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

mourningdove

Thank you, Elizabeth. Sorry that you are also dealing with nightmares.  :hug:

Atticus Finch

I am sorry. I am sure you will get through this, but it is seems like it is so raw right now. This question is what brought me here today. My son 16 is having sleeping and waking nightmares. The daytime ones tend to happen most towards the end of the day. He said yesterday he thought he was now partly insane. He is not, but has depression and going through a very rough patch. Serious sexual and life threatening physical abuse swirling around his head with an overlay of crap normal adolescence experiences.

We struggle to know how to help break the loop. One idea is helping him sort out then pick one thing to worry about vs a mass of around 12 constant themes.

Often there seems to be a present day terror linked up with a past one so maybe there are two at the root of each episode?

Do you mind me probing if you face a jumble of fears or is it one thing? Do you or this community have ideas to try in either case to break the chain or does it just have to be waited out?

We would love feedback on what can be tried to help get him out of the swirl.

mourningdove

Atticus, sorry to hear that your son is having such a rough time. :(

For the day-time, some of these grounding techniques might help: http://did-research.org/treatment/grounding.html.

For night time, maybe surround his sleeping area with comforting items if he has any? I have seen people also recommend comforting music. And scent can be powerful, so if there are any scents that he finds comforting and that he associates with safety, it might help to try those. I wish that I had more to offer.

Atticus Finch

Thanks. I like the grounding techniques list very much. I will start experimenting. We try to help him choose now rather than say "do this". (Based on great advice from this site).

My own therapist (we carers need these too) liked the idea of helping him narrowing down the worries if possible to a bite size one or two, but that is very hard when in a state.

We had his therapy today and he chose to cover some awful event ground + that feeling he will be in trouble if the perp is not dealt with. it kicked him off so much when we got home that he needed heavy medication and colouring + lots of praise and positive outlook. I just need a cry, but it won't come so instead I came here and found your caring words :)