Communicating with the Inner Child by Writing Letters

Started by Hope66, May 15, 2017, 06:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope66

I have just read a book by Penny Parks called "Rescuing the Inner Child" in which she teaches about writing letters to the inner child or children and writing back to them as an adult - and I must admit to feeling a bit scared to 'start' this kind of process, but at the same time, I'd like to try it out and see how it goes.

I just wondered if any/many of you have tried it, and if you have any feedback about what the process was like for you?  Penny didn't mention using different writing hands to write the letters, but I have read somewhere else that people sometimes use the non-dominant hand to write the letter from the 'child' and the dominant writing hand for the letter from the 'adult' - so I wonder whether to try that, or to use my writing hand the whole time.  I guess I could try both ways.

Anyway, I'd value any comments from anyone who has tried this, or even if you haven't, what you think about it.

Just reading the book gave me a migraine - and I've had headache today, but thankfully it's finally gone now.  So I'm going to leave it a day or two before I try writing the letters - as I want to calm myself a bit first.

Hope  :)

Elphanigh

Hope66, I have done this only twice but it was very helpful for me. My first therapist had me do this to get in touch with what I needed and to try to forgive my inner child. She did have me do it with opposite hands because it helps to let yourself be in touch with your inner child to write with your non-dominant hand.

I will warn you that, at least for me, this was a very emotional thing to do. The emotions were good and helpful though as long as you are in a place that you are stable enough to handle going back to that a bit.

Blueberry

I've only done spoken communication back and forth, using a bear or other stuffed animal to stand in for the child. I have different animals depending on approximate age or also how child communicates. Like the bear is a child who can understand but not speak, only nod and shake head. I don't write because of my own special problems with writing. This kind of work can be pretty powerful, bring up a bunch of emotions, so be in a safe place.

Hope66

Thank you Elphanigh and Blueberry for your helpful replies - and I will make sure I choose my timing well for when I do the first letter.  I might wait till the weekend - as that is a better time for me. 

Hope66

Just wanted to reflect here that this process of writing to the Inner Child does indeed bring up powerful emotions - I had a massive headache after doing one last week - but I found that I felt a bit better later in the week - so I was glad I did it.  I've written with my dominant hand for my 'adult self' and my non-dominant hand for my 'inner child' and she did answer me - she told me she was frightened, she was alone, and she was hungry.  She spoke of being scared of my M.  I reassured her that I'd heard her and that she is safe with me.  That she can talk to me and tell me how she's feeling and that it will be ok.  I think she heard me.  But I don't think she feels safe yet - but I do think it's a good start.

Previously I had pictured a few inner children with me, but I think that might have been 'hopefulness' on my part - I subsequently have only pictured one - and she's a small and frightened child.  But she did communicate with me, and that was a great start.