The Potting Shed

• 37 Replies

Gromit

• View Profile
Re: The Potting Shed
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »
Sweet peas have germinated, but my basil still fails to appear. It will be time for tomatoes soon.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
Wow! Your local climate is a bit ahead of mine. Our snowdrops are still blooming, though dandelions are up (the leaves) and ground elder too. I eat both of those so I notice.
Should is
never good,
for me.

Gromit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
These are just seeds planted indoors, I know the tomato seeds should be started soon. Nothing goes out until May.

Outside there is some blossom coming, I have seen a magnolia up the road. I think there may be pollen from some things in the air, I have been sneezing.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
Yesterday it was unseasonally warm here. I did quite a few jobs in the garden including planting my squash plant that I grew from a seed in November. It's probably not going to produce any squash, but then I thought it wouldn't survive the winter indoors or produce flowers, but it did both, so who knows.

Otherwise, moss-clearing, weeding (most of which was also harvesting since I eat the edible varieties). I also sowed some wildflower seeds and alyssum seeds. Harvested some more Jerusalem artichokes (and ate one today with lunch), emptied my kitchen window ledge container of ground elder since there is quite enough of that weed in the garden again, ready to plant some more seeds in there. I also put various seeds in my super-mini-greenhouse on the window ledge, including 3 more squash seeds.

The snowdrops are over, but there are other flowers blooming now e.g. daffodils and various blues and purples.
Should is
never good,
for me.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »
Two of the mini-greenhouse squash seeds are up and now flourishing in a normal pot on window ledge. Have some other stuff in mini-greenhouse, including a nasturtium seed to see if the packet is still going to produce anything since beyond best-before-by date.

Done a lot of harvesting and eating of weeds in garden, as well as more moss-clearing, and some dandelion and daisy-clearing to make up for my neighbour intending to plant more because they're so healthy  :stars: It's true they are healthy but i can't see the garden needs more of them. We ahve enough to feed several families but I'm the only one who seems to eat them, even said neighbour never seems to get round to it.

The tulips are blooming, also lung-wort and yellow primroses both of which attract the bees no end. I hung a little insect hotel up in my garden a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I saw a wasp going in a hole, inspecting, came out again though. But then I saw 4-5 holes plugged with pale pink something or other which means there's somebody in them  :cheer:

My little lilac bush has buds and the cherry tree is covered in white blooms. Unfortunately the cherries are only stones covered in skin but the insects and birds love the tree.
Should is
never good,
for me.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 03:22:31 PM »
A few weeks on and the garden looks much different. It's flourishing! Just as well I eat those weeds, helps to keep them back a bit. The squash plant I had over the winter in my kitchen was devoured (by slugs?) quite soon after I planted it. Oh well. Today I planted 5 new squash plants I've been growing in the kitchen for a few weeks now.

I also started making some natural liquid nitrogen fertiliser. Last time I tried that a number of years ago, it sat in the bucket for weeks and fermented. Now this year I really think I'll manage to make it and then distribute it in a useful form.

Last week I made herb butter aka 'weed and wild-flower butter'. It tastes good! Maybe I'll make some more tomorrow before certain flowers are over for this year.
Should is
never good,
for me.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 03:39:45 AM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: It's finally raining. Of course sun and warmth are brilliant. But the ground, the soil really desperately needs moisture. I know people whose rain barrels are completely empty. Apparently we need 3 days and nights of gentle, steady rain to really soak down into the soil to reach the deepest roots and not run off. That's not forecast, but the plants will still be refreshed, and the seeds I sowed and plants I moved from the kitchen to the garden yesterday will be helped along.

Also it will be easier to weed after this. I would like to clear some beds of that pestilential bishop's weed / ground elder. I do eat it, but there's only so much a single person can eat. I don't buy lettuce or even any veg at the moment, I just pick and eat what I find in the garden. Usually while I'm down there. Graze as I go, like a goat or a cow.

The rain will be washing all the yellow pollen off all the plants too, like the nettles, some of which I'm going to pick later to put in my soup. Now I won't have to wash them so carefully. (Just love doing long-drawn out work with the stinging nettle. Not.)

There's lots of blue atm. Forget-me-not all over the place, and then what seems to be called 'mountain bluet' or 'mountain cornflower' in English. It attracts lots of bees and I'm all for encouraging bees.  :)

There's also a mass of yellow, japonica I believe. It's very pretty against the white wall with lots of greenery surrounding. Unfortunately it's not attractive to bees due to its cultivated properties. A shame for the bees.

It's so nice to write about plants and my garden and colourful flowers after doing a severe TW post. Gets my mind on other things, stopped the slightly physical freezing reactions I was having.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:42:01 AM by Blueberry »
Should is
never good,
for me.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 04:59:51 AM »
I did make some more 'weed and wild-flower butter' and I gave some little tiny packets of it away too, which was generally well-received.

I also started using my natural nitrogen fertiliser today. Yesterday I cooked up a natural anti-aphid spray and was using it today on my blackcurrant bush. I've read about these types of things before but never had the emotional stamina to go through with them. Making things which involve several steps and waiting time (most of these have to steep for 24 hours or more) are often difficult for me. But it is getting easier and that's a sign of overall emotional growth and healing for me.  :)

Both my currant bushes (red and black) are covered in berries.

The peony is blooming deep pinky-red. The garden does look better where I mowed lawn next to certain beds, but otoh where I haven't mowed there's lots of long luscious grass to pick for the Little Furries I'm looking after.  :)
Should is
never good,
for me.