Slow Processing Speed, Cognitive Deficits

Started by Amrator, June 11, 2017, 06:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amrator

Does any else process information very slowly? Like taking long to finish a test or assignment? If not, do you cognitive problems? I process information very slowly, but I'm not sure if it's a result of my CPTSD or trauma.

Three Roses

I do have trouble sometimes, learning/concentrating. Hard to even read a book sometimes. But since I've been this way all my life idk if it's from cptsd or not.  :(

Blueberry

I feel as if I process information more slowly than I used to. Though it could just be that I allow myself to be slower now? I find that I often need more time than other people, just to let the information sift through all the layers and go through all the inner children, e.g. if I have to make a decision. 

Dee

I can't concentrate.  I can only focus on short things for a short period of time.  I recently had an email that was very intense and I sill had to read it in portions.  The first time I could only skim it.  I believe this a symptom of CPTSD.

Lucy 8888

I've always been a slow processor and when asked a question by people with authority, I often blank out even though I know the answer.  I always thought this had to do with my shyness, which I attribute to growing up with two narcissist parents.

On the other hand, I think that taking your time processing things is not entirely a weakness.  I have a friend and when I visit her with process so many things over the days I am there.  I think that processing things that happen interpersonally is a strength.  How can we always know how we feel so quickly when people demand that we do that?  I really need to think things over and I don't see it as a weakness.

LaurelLeaves

I definitely process things slower.  I think it contributes to my dyslexia and auditory processing disorder that I think I have (never been diagnosed).  I've seen slow processing linked to gifted students.   It might be Sensory Processing Disorder, and I've seen that link to trauma. 

Blueberry

Quote from: Lucy 8888 on August 25, 2017, 11:30:53 PM
...when asked a question by people with authority, I often blank out even though I know the answer.  I always thought this had to do with my shyness, which I attribute to growing up with two narcissist parents.

Blanking out is one of my reactions too. I actually think that it is an EF (=Emotional Flashback), in my case. You'll find the explanation for EF somewhere on this website. It is totally linked to CPTSD. You might like to read up on EFs, if you haven't already done so. That could give you some valuable information. Or at least a name for the symptom. Here: http://www.outofthestorm.website/cptsd-glossary/                Scroll down to Emotional Flashback

On the other hand, I think that taking your time processing things is not entirely a weakness. ..  I think that processing things that happen interpersonally is a strength.  How can we always know how we feel so quickly when people demand that we do that?  ...

:yeahthat:
Hit the nail on the head this morning, for me. More to come in my Journal, where I intend to go next.

BTW, Welcome to the forum, Lucy!

sigiriuk

Hi there
I have problems with concentration and keeping on task. I am in denial that this is partly a physical problem due to childhood trauma.

However, I would ask you to consider a person who has chronic back pain. They will have cognitive problems because of spending most of their resources trying to combat the pain. There is very little left to help with tasks.

I am also in constant pain, and emotional pain is some of the worst pain. I have a big hole inside me, and my thinking is chaotic, and i feel like the most evil person in the world.

There are few resources left to process other stuff.......

:grouphug:

Slim

Blueberry

Quote from: Slim on August 30, 2017, 12:11:43 PM
There are few resources left to process other stuff.......

:yeahthat:  I'm a slow processor too. There is so much energy going into processing trauma, trauma therapy and into the step-by-step learning to do things differently with myself, in my thinking patterns, organising my life into something better. I sometimes contact inner children while I'm about it and explain to them. I'm trying to learn things nobody taught me in childhood or where I was too traumatised to learn. I don't meant book-learning.

AphoticAtramentous

Glad I'm not alone on this one. I seem to struggle a lot with processing and keeping concentration, whether it be listening to someone and suddenly blanking out (having words go through one ear out the other...), or whether it be reading (Which unfortunately can make browsing this forum quite a task). I think it might have something to do with c-ptsd because I remember I used to read a lot when I was younger and I was able to keep my focus fairly well, all I did during my recess/lunch breaks at school was reading. But now I can barely read a forum thread, how sad. lol
Geez, I even struggle to keep my concentration when I'm speaking! Sometimes I will stop mid sentence and wonder what the heck I was on about. It can be frustrating, for both me and the person I was talking to.

Movingon

Yes, I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and with medication I function a lot better, still takes me a while and I can't ceal with many things going on. I think people with learning difficulties are more vulnerable to trauma. Perhaps because learning deficits affect how people treat us, or our more frequent failures, or we are easier targets. Or maybe these deficits make us more prone to trauma. I find I am often left thinking "what just happened? am I upset? oh yes, I am upset!" but well after the interaction.

I do wonder if learning difficulties are associated with intergenerational abuse. For example I was listening to a video today, ADHD is accepted to be a genetic disorder. They have also isolated a gene known to be involved in ADHD as well as narcotic and alcohol addiction, in addition to the well established connection between ADHD addiction in general. Therefore, I imagine, more children with ADHD would be born into traumatic circumstances. If that makes sense?

Lilfae

I too struggle with concentration and often it feels like my brain isnt cognitively functioning properly. Ive brought my concerns regarding this with my T, and the answer she gave me was nice to hear. Maybe it is similar for you.

She said that when you are spending so much of your mental energy and capacity for hypeevigilance and avoiding triggers and looking for ways to escape  should the  aspect of your fear/worry appear, it takes up a lot of energy and the brain is the biggest consumer of glucose, it is no wonder there is less energy left over to be properly concentrated for a time, or needing to slow down processes for deeper understanding and learning.

For me it can take hours or days and sometimes even months to process what is being said in therapy or during lectures.

ToreyP

I relate.  Before my diagnosis, my cognitive issues were so severe that I went to my GP convinced that I had early-onset Alzheimer's Disease.  Some days are definitely worse than others.  On days when I am having issues pretty badly, I just shut down and want to go home and stay there.

Regardz1

I've always been a slow processor and when asked a question by people with authority, I often blank out even though I know the answer.

I can SO relate to this.  I do the same thing.  I also have a terrible, terrible time with people's names.  I will even blank out on names of co-workers or neighbors or friends.  It's awful and embarrassing.  And, yes I am slow to process information.   Information does not stick with me, either.  I teach myself something and then have to do it over and over and over.  If I don't do it for a few days, I can't remember again.  I wrote about a 150 pg manual at work just so I can use it as a reference.  I think it is definitely the CPTSD.  I also had an EEG scan done, and in addition to my brain scan being classic for someone with PTSD, there were also indications of brain trauma from two concussions I had as a child.  I have higher than normal "slow" or "low frequency" brain waves indicative of brain injury.  So, I believe that is part of it, too.

Blueberry

Quote from: Regardz1 on September 24, 2017, 02:52:51 PM
I also have a terrible, terrible time with people's names.  I will even blank out on names of co-workers or neighbors or friends.  It's awful and embarrassing. 

Me too! I'm getting less embarrassed about it though, at least among some people. My closer friends all know that my memory took a huge nose-dive both times where I had a huge run-in with FOO.

But I do agree it's awful when you can't say anything, like when I was attempting to learn a new job a few months ago, sort of customer service type thing. I kept forgetting what the customers had asked for. The information just wouldn't stay in my brain. I didn't go back to that job.