(POLL #1) Change "complex" to "cumulative"

Started by LaurelLeaves, June 20, 2017, 04:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I like vanilla

I wonder if Dr. Bessel van der Kolk would have a stand on this topic. He was one of the lead people that managed to get PTSD recognized as a diagnosis. He is also one of the few researchers out there that I have found who recognizes that CPTSD is different from PTSD, and I am someone who enjoys this type of research so have made an effort to find journal articles on the topic (many of the others I have found are led by members of his team, and/or his grad students). I have seen him speak on Youtube, read some of his articles, and read The Body Keeps the Score. My sense is that he is fairly strong-minded but also that he cares greatly about his clients and everyone with CPTSD, and that he is truly driven to do what is best for us.

Sceal

Quote from: Blueberry on November 16, 2017, 06:10:50 PM
Quote from: Sceal on November 13, 2017, 05:09:48 PM
The first time I read the suggestion for using "abuse" I felt a kind of resistance. But I held back, because I couldn't figure out why.
Today, randomly it came to me. "Abuse" wouldn't work in my native language.  It would alienate the diagnosis even further, it would make people more scared. And most people's reaction to things they are scared of is to avoid it.

Sceal, if "abuse" wouldn't work in your native language, probably your country would find a different descriptor but that might not necessarily mean we need a different one globally?

There's no other word in my language I'm afraid. We only got a fraction of words compared to the english language. It's not so much that it's a bad word, it's more that it wouldn't then include SA victims unless it was incest. And it wouldn't include neglect for example, or religious manipulation just to name a few.

Personally I think more information and more correct distinction and information out to professionals and more general public knowledge generally about all the stages of PTSD as well as well as information about what is actually abuse and where the lines go in regards to SA, would be more beneficial as a whole. There's been other diagnosises that's changed names over the years - and I don't think it helped much. One example is multiple personality disorder that changed into Dissociative Identity Disorder. I think that only increased confusion. Same with psychopaths became antisocial personality disorder, that didn't help at all. Everyone still calls it psycopaths.  :stars:

Healing Finally

I vote for:

___changed to Cumulative Psychological Trauma Injury  :cheer: (although that is a "mouthful"  ;D )

I've ALWAYS disliked the labels of "disorder" or "syndrome" as these somehow sound like, to me, as if we (those that are diagnosed) have somehow contributed/created it, vs. it being done to us.

I've ALWAYS thought that the word "injury" needs to be in the mix because that is exactly what I believe I have suffered from.  Many injuries to my psyche.  I was even thinking this in the car last night.  You can't SEE  :aaauuugh: the injury, as it shows up in our thinking and behavior.  I believe in the medical profession the concept of "injury" needs to be considered more than just a physical instance.

One more thought, I am an "alcoholic" but I HATE this label as it bring up negative images, stories, etc.  I just say I don't drink.  I consider it an allergy, not a disease.  It never got worse for me, it didn't progress, I just drank heavily for 35 years because I NEEDED IT, due to all my internal anguish.  But I also know I have the genetic piece where my body reacts when alcohol enters my body.  I am so grateful I quite drinking over 6 years ago so I could finally discover my cptsd. 

This discussion really hits home for me the importance of WORDS...   :grouphug:

Blueberry

Quote from: Sceal on November 17, 2017, 07:05:22 AM
Quote from: Blueberry on November 16, 2017, 06:10:50 PM
Quote from: Sceal on November 13, 2017, 05:09:48 PM
The first time I read the suggestion for using "abuse" I felt a kind of resistance. But I held back, because I couldn't figure out why.
Today, randomly it came to me. "Abuse" wouldn't work in my native language.  It would alienate the diagnosis even further, it would make people more scared. And most people's reaction to things they are scared of is to avoid it.

Sceal, if "abuse" wouldn't work in your native language, probably your country would find a different descriptor but that might not necessarily mean we need a different one globally?

There's no other word in my language I'm afraid. We only got a fraction of words compared to the english language. It's not so much that it's a bad word, it's more that it wouldn't then include SA victims unless it was incest.

OK I understand.

Quote from: Sceal on November 17, 2017, 07:05:22 AM
And it wouldn't include neglect for example, or religious manipulation just to name a few.

In English "abuse" doesn't cover neglect either so that speaks against it too. I'm not sure about religious manipulation, whether that couldn't be some form of emotional/psychological abuse.

Kizzie

OK, we do seem to be getting more members who want to see changes so I will do up a few more polls and see where it takes us. 

sanmagic7

thanks, kizzie.  this is brilliant.

Kizzie

I can't add any additional polls to this thread so I've had to start a separate thread for each poll unfortunately.  It's a bit awkward I know - apologies but I'm limited by what the platform will allow. Anyway, I'll add the URL for each poll here as I post them.

Poll #1 - Re: The Terminology in "CPTSD" - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=6758.0

Poll #2 - Re: The word "Complex" in CPTSD - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=8184.0

Poll #3 - Re: The word "Post" in CPTSD - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=8179.0

Poll #4 - Re: The word "Traumatic" in CPTSD - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=8187.0

Poll #5 - Re: The word "Stress" in CPTSD  = http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=8180.0

Poll #6 - Re: The word "Disorder" in CPTSD  - http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=8182.0

Many thanks to LaurelLeaves for getting this whole community discussion started!     :applause: