I have really benefitted from in-person support groups - anyone in Seattle?

Started by carnation, June 22, 2017, 07:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnation

Full disclosure, I posted something just like this in ootf just now :)

I've been NC from my addict and Nmom for almost 4 years, and from the rest of my family-gone-full flying monkey for a few months.  C-PTSD is so on the fringe still, it's hard to make contact with others - this space is one of the only places I could think of to reach you :)

This forum, OOTF, LAN on reddit, have all meant the world to me - comfort any time day or night wherever I was! 

I would just love to have an in-person support group with people who are, ideally, not in their abusive environments any more; and then are already familiar with the material on this site, ootf, etc.  I have an idea for the structure of it, and a place to have it (an all-are-welcome space that rents out rooms very cheaply for support groups). 

So... anyone in the 206?  :)  I should say that going to CODA, Al Anon, and ACOA have been invaluable in treating my cptsd and depression.

rbswan

Hi carnation.  I'm just south in the 253 area code and have been wondering about C-PTSD support groups myself.  I'm fairly active the the ACA (ACOA) and Al Anon community tin Tacoma.  ACA in Tacoma is small but has a few folks that discuss C-PTSD.  I'm really the only one who has actively researched it so far and is in experiential group therapy.  I'm also looking into EMDR and body work.  Our ACA community is pretty new (2 years with most of us in other programs) but there are a few like minded/fellow travelers who relate.  I found this site just a short time ago after reading Pete Walker and Bessel van der Kolk and feel like I struck gold.  I would be interested if something came up and enough people were interested.  Seattle and Tacoma are quite a stretch but I was actually going to discuss the possibility of starting an informal support group around childhood trauma survivors and C-PTSD with some home group members.  Most of us, if not all of us, in my ACA groups qualify but I don't push my opinions unless asked.  Let me know if you find something and I'll do the same.  Thanks for you post!

HabitudeII