Started Reading The Body Keeps the Score Today

Started by writetolife, July 20, 2017, 05:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writetolife

and whoah... I wish it talked more about non-violent trauma than it has so far, but still I connect with it so well.  It's cool to read about what my brain is doing, why I get so triggered that it gets difficult to speak, what my brain is doing during a flashback etc.  And it makes me feel so much less crazy.  My reactions aren't weird, even if I don't know of anyone else around me who is experiencing them.

Three Roses

There are a handful of books I've read that I'd say were life changing, and this is one.  :thumbup:

Blueberry

I've had this book now for 8 weeks on inter-library loan and unfortunately have to return it tomorrow. It took me a long time to get into it. I guess it just wasn't the right time during those first 6 weeks.

So much I read today made me understand myself and some of my problems on a deeper level, especially my reluctance to do something good for myself. I know that involving myself with scent of some sort, with colours, with pleasant sounds, or going out into the garden are healing and often grounding, but getting going with them involves a lot of energy, as if there's some huge hurdle in the way. What I read today made that make sense, though I don't even remember why any more. BUT when I understand something like this, it helps me not berate myself. So next time doing something involving the 5 senses or creativity is really difficult, I might remember - you read about that in Body Keeps the Score, don't berate yourself.

Undoubtedly I'll be borrowing this book again, to understand even more on a deeper level, or maybe even buying it.

Fen Starshimmer

I just ordered this book today and can't wait to read it! It's my birthday present to me.

Three Roses

I genuinely feel happy and excited whenever I hear about someone reading it! The audio version is on YouTube, here's the links.

Part 1 https://youtu.be/EKjBM6MxTKg

Part 2 https://youtu.be/KSo699qcHfQ

Hope66

Hi ThreeRoses,
Thanks so much for these links - I think it will be good to 'hear' the reading of this book - it could be another way of processing it - that could be really beneficial - I hope to listen to them when I am ready to.  I've got another book on the go at the moment, but I really like 'The Body Keeps the Score' and would like to 'hear' it next time - rather than read it. 
Hope  :)

Blueberry

Yes, thanks from me too for the link.

It'll be different hearing it read out loud, and it will be in English too which my library version wasn't. I'm completely bilingual so it's not that I didn't understand what I was reading, but reading / hearing in English usually takes me to a deeper level. That used to be too much actually. Doing therapy in a language I didn't speak in my childhood or hear in FOO was a protective measure for a long time.

Fen Starshimmer

Three Roses, Thank you for these links the audio book. So now I can listen to the book before it arrives....  ;D

It's a strange coincidence that I was just now listening to Dr Bessel van der Kolk giving a presentation on Youtube, as I was so keen to hear him speaking about CPTSD. I am even more excited about reading his book now.

If anyone wants to hear more from Dr van der Kolk check this link:  http://bit.ly/1spgzrO

His voice is low, calm and soothing, even his body language is steady and calm, so that even the most heavy, scientific and complex topics are somehow digestible. Maybe it comes from years of working with highly traumatised people. Wish everyone could be like this...

rbswan

Thank you all for the comments about this great book.  I have the audible version and have listened to it 3 times through.  I have a long work commute and it's been great.  The mix of research, experience, knowledge, honesty, insight to ineffective C-PTSD treatment, compassion and effective C-PTSD recovery methods make this a keystone book for me.  So much of it rings true for me.  I read (and listen) to a lot of trauma recovery literature and this is one I will keep coming back to for some time.

Fen Starshimmer

Almost half way through the Body Keeps the Score and scribbling "Yes, yes, YES!" all over it, underlining big sections. I had already read Judith Herman's book, Trauma and Recovery, but this goes deeper and really explains the brain and physiological changes that occur in childhood. The Emotional Brain is a big factor in CPTSD, as it is damaged in childhood and doesn't usually respond to the logical brain. They are not connected. Explains the limits of CBT. How CPTSD is different to PTSD, along with aspects in common. Highly recommend it, as it also has a big section on tried and tested healing modalities. Feeling safe, is a starting point. There is hope. The brain and nervous system can be rewired, and calmed without the need for drugs.

rbswan

This is probably my favorite book on C-PTSD (Maybe a tie with Pete Walker's Books).  I read it and have it on audible.  I've listened to it on my commute at least 3 times.  It has so much information that I catch or remember something every time I listen.  Bessel van der Kolk is one of my heroes.  He has made this his life's work and his experience, data, research and personal healing are all captured in this powerful book.  I love in the epilog where he says "we are on the verge of becoming a trauma conscious society" and where he says something like "if you have come with me this far in The Body Keeps Score, you have become part of this community".  I teared up when I first read that.

ah

I've just started reading it in earnest and I couldn't agree more. It's really helping me understand my own brain better than any other book.
I especially liked the way he opened chapter 13 on treatment. It starts with -

"Nobody can "treat" a war, or abuse, rape, molestation, or any other horrendous event, for that matter; what has happened cannot be undone. But what can be dealt with are the imprints of the trauma on body, mind, and soul: ..."

How compassionate and validating. It brought tears to my eyes, had to stop reading for a minute.