Intrusive Thoughts and Physical Sensations from CSA

Started by audrey73, August 06, 2017, 11:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audrey73

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to this forum. I've been in therapy for, basically, my entire life, but only in trauma therapy for a few months. I am dealing with childhood sexual abuse for the first time (and have a history of both cptsd/ptsd). Currently in EMDR/SE, and about to start SE Touch. Even though I know (intellectually) that the CSA is over, I'm wondering how long intrusive thoughts and sensations last? I know this is different for everyone, but I find myself judging myself that I am still experiencing the feelings, thinking I should be over this by now.

so great to be apart of this site!

Dee

I am only now addressing my trauma in therapy.  For me it has been a lifetime of intrusive thoughts and sensations.  I think it isn't a matter of how long it last and when we should be over it.  I think it is more of how helpful therapy is.  I know without therapy it isn't over.  There isn't a time that we should be over it by.  Without help, it festers and grows.  Each year it only seems to get worse.  The older I get and the less I am active the worse it is.  When my kids were young I was distracted by their needs, that isn't the case now.  Time doesn't heal all wounds.  We have to address it and work on it.  I think there is no getting over it we learn how to go on and deal with it.

audrey73

Thanks so much Dee for your response. I am having moments of reprieve from the symptoms, and then other days where I feel like I'm drowning in an abyss of symptoms. I  am trying  to remain hopeful, a moment at a time.

Andyman73

My guess would be that these things fall away when we pass. Just as the WWII Veterans do, their combat and POW experiences still haunt them 75 years later. 

There is a gentleman at my church who was csa/r between ages 5-7. He is now 65 years old. Led a full life, single Dad raising his three sons starting when youngest was Baby. Was nuclear power plant architectural engineer. Very active in my church. Seems super happy and well adjusted...still has nightmares at least once a week. Still has EF and intrusive thoughts several times a week.