Hallucinations

• 7 Replies

Lilfae

Hallucinations
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »
I know visual and auditory halluconations are not a symptom on PTSD, but I was wondering if there are anyone else out there experiencing this?

I have had visuals, but they are very rare now. I mostly have audiotory halluconations. I know its a byproduct of my own mind, but its not something you can turn on and off.  I was wondering how other people are dealing with it?

Three Roses

Re: Hallucinations
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »
I have had visual hallucinations, they are typically just a flash where I can easily distinguish it's not reality. Some combat vets have been known to be transported via flashbacks back to the original trauma. It's not unheard of, you're not alone. Hopefully someone else will give you more feedback on this.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
I've had my share of hallucinations before. Mainly visual. I've never taken any hallucinatory substances, and I've never stayed up for so long that it might have been a cause for the hallucinations. So I am willing to bet it's some kind of symptom of the ptsd. If not, who knows! Haha
My hallucinations mainly come as inhuman beings, and they're always black. I've only had one hallucination of something humanoid - a hand reaching out to grab me whilst I was in bed but me waving at the air seemed to get it to go away. :) I'm not sure how you would get auditory hallucinations to go away though, I'm afraid.
Honestly the hallucinations don't terrify me. In fact they're more intriguing than anything else, and I actually enjoy seeing them because they're just so absurd and random they do a mighty fine job of distracting me from reality. ^-^
(nervous laughter)
Status: Living with my FOO, planning to move out in January! :) So close!

Lilfae

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
I do have the regular flashbacks too, but they don't tend to happen at the same time as the hallucinations.

I've never taken anything to promote halluscinations either. :D That thought didn't even occur to me as I wrote the threat to begin with. I used to have visuals, and they were far more freaky and creeping me out than the audiotory halluscinations. I guess I am so used to them, they don't scare me. But the concentration it takes away from conversations with others and in lectures are quite frustrating. So I was wondering how others dealt with it, without using drugs? :)

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:25:04 PM »
I had to stop one anti anxiety medication because of visual disturbances.

If you are on medication might be worth checking the small print?

I think lots of meds can cause vision issues as an uncommon side effect.

I see things moving/ sudden movement in my peripheral vision often and I'm not on any meds, its not a hallucination though, I think its hypervigilance, my brain thinking some danger might be present when its not. It doesn't bother me much, its common.
Everything will be alright in the end.

If things aren't alright then it isn't the end.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 11:57:30 PM »
I see things moving/ sudden movement in my peripheral vision often and I'm not on any meds, its not a hallucination though, I think its hypervigilance, my brain thinking some danger might be present when its not. It doesn't bother me much, its common.
I get the same thing. It's not really bothering, seeing as you can usually just look around and see there is no real danger. Many times I've seen something in the corner of my eye and I've quickly snapped my attention to it... and the most obscure thing I've ever had pop up in my vision like that was not just a small blinking LED, but the reflection of one! I don't know how my eyes notice that! Haha. It kind of feels like a mini super power if anything, cat-like eyes almost.
(nervous laughter)
Status: Living with my FOO, planning to move out in January! :) So close!

Sceal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
I've had all sorts of hallucinations.
Some of them were outright from zombie-movies. Others' not so bad, but left a lingering feeling of disgust. Some were just random.
I learned quite early to wait for other people's responses, if no one didn't react then it was most likely not happening.  The visual hallucinations are all but gone now. They come under extreme stress and paranoia.
For the last few years it was voices. But they are mostly gone now, and now I feel so alone.
And they weren't always malicious or abusive. Most of the time they just really talked over my head. More like constant noise, like when you're on the subway or inside a big hall full of people waiting for the show to start. It can get quite distractive. But sometimes I could sort of talk to them, like they were my friends. My secret imaginary friends.
They've been gone before, I am sure they'll come back again later. Thinking about this, reading what I've written. I sound like a lunatic...

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Out of the Storm
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
I stumbled across this 2005 article today "Adverse childhood experiences and hallucinations" at https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0145213405001468.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion - Dalai Lama