SAD

Started by Eyessoblue, September 23, 2017, 08:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyessoblue

Hi everyone, to go with the cptsd I have also been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder {SAD }. I just wondered, does anyone else suffer with this too and if so can I ask what you take medication wise to help with this? Having been on Citalopram for the last 15byears I feel like they are no longer doing the job and just wondered what has been recommended or works for other people with this?

Dee

I was diagnosed with it but it as a misdiagnosis.  I just had major depression.  However, I was told to get a light box for SADs.  I also lived in a dark country once and we had one there as well.  I like to call them happy lights.  It is worth looking into.

AphoticAtramentous

I don't have any advice to give unfortunately, I don't have SAD and don't know anyone who does. But I wish you the best and hope you will be able to find some relief soon!

sanmagic7

hey, eyessoblue,

i've heard that it could be a lack of vit. d.  you can get tested for that.  a friend of mine suffered from sad for years, found she was deficient in vit. d, took supplements and it helped her a lot.  best to you - i hope you find something that works.   big hug.

Sceal

Hi!
In my country SAD is quite common. Especially during winter as there's little to no sunlight for most part of the country during the winter months. (and too much sunlight during the summer months :D)

I agree with sanmagic that Vitamin D plays a role in this disease, but also vitamin b12. Both of these vitamin plays in on energy levels amongst other things.
I saw someone remember suggesting a lightbox, and I've heard those help too. I sometimes use one during the wintermonths. Though it's important that you use it only in the morning, and not in the late afternoon/evening as it will naturally change the chemical release in your brain keeping you awake rather than inducing sleep. Light boxes are also used to help change sleeping patterns and sleeping disorders.
I know some people use the tanning saloons, to get more "sunlight", and they say it helps them.

I don't know about anti-depressants though, because I tend to avoid those as the plague :D

Candid

Blueberry

I know someone who uses a light box in the mornings, well, that is I know her parents, and they said it has made a big difference. The someone was under 18 when she first got it. I don't know if she was diagnosed with SAD though.

LittleBird

I take vitamin D. I find the dark messes with my dissociation, although it's not a problem every year. The happy lamps are very expensive.

I'm wondering what else I can do to improve my home environment. I've always had a thing about "saving energy", but this has become an unchecked obsession.

Sorry, I think I've lingered from your original question. I'm not sure what medication there is for SAD. Natural sunlight is good. Can you take a walk around mid-day? I think that's best time to soak it up.

Rainagain

I think there is another vitamin that helps vitamin D to be absorbed so they are good taken together.

Unfortunately I can't remember what the other ingredient is, might be calcium.

Sorry!

LittleBird

Eyessoblue

LittleBird

I'm worried I've told you the wrong thing, it might have been folic acid? Hmm, can't be sure now.

Eyessoblue

Oh don't worry, I take that anyway!!

melere

I live up in the land of polar bears, igloos, and beavers. Oh, and moose. Yes, I live in dark, wintery Canada!

Jokes aside, I started with regular intermittent depression at 12 and it morphed into mostly just seasonal. This is my third year of using a light box in the mornings and I've found it really takes the edge off--sometimes I feel like my mood is still "meh" but at least it's not a raging depression, and usually fends off more episodes later in the year/the depression becoming a year-rounder. I've also found it helps with some weird anxiety I get in the springtime (I think it's related to the time change, that's all I figure). I tend to use it from October through March.

Vit.D probably isn't a bad idea. I've done it sometimes but didn't personally find a difference, but then, I do plenty of walking year-round. I take Omega-3's though since it's supposed to be good for mitigating the neurological wear that happens with chronic stress/depression/etc.

The only thing to really be careful of with the light therapy is:

1) Build up usage gradually. 5 mins for a couple days, 10 for a couple of days, 20, etc.; around 30-40 mins usually does it for me in the darkest depths of winter and I use more/lower usage depending on how much I'm sleeping. If you start with too much, too soon, you'll feel like you're buzzing with electricity/get insomnia/etc.
3) Some people split the therapy up through the day or do it in the afternoon. I heard it was best in morning so that's what I do; but experiment!
2) Some people get mania when they use light therapy. I'm sure it's rare but I thought I'd throw it out there. Generally I hear it's safe with most antidepressants/meds but check with a doctor.

Overall I totally recommend them. It's not too much of a pain to read or use a computer while you do the therapy first thing in the morning, and it makes the winter much more bearable. If you have a membership, Costco sells them for a really good price.