Music Therapy

Started by sigiriuk, October 10, 2017, 06:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigiriuk

Dear All
As a bit of a musician I recently thought to record my feelings, memories,  flashbacks as music. It's pretty out there.... not the sort of stuff that you could sing along to. No words, just sounds.
But I have found it quite grounding and calming.
Anyone else entered into therapy of this type.
(Although I would like formal music therapy, it would interfere with my talking therapy)
Slim

AphoticAtramentous

Sounds really interesting. I'm into creating music myself, but haven't thought of trying it quite like that.
What kind of sounds would you make and record? Actual melodies with rhythm, or just a random patter of notes? Or both? lol

Three Roses

I think that's a great idea. Drawing, music, writing, dance are all ways of expressing our innermost thoughts & emotions. Great idea :)

Contessa

sigiriuk

Quote from: AphoticAtramentous on October 11, 2017, 12:32:47 AM
What kind of sounds would you make and record? Actual melodies with rhythm, or just a random patter of notes? Or both? lol

Not melodies. I ask myself what an emotion sounds like (to me). If it sounds like a drill, i use that sound. For example , the sound of being hated by someone, to me, sounds like nails on chalk board. I just keep adding, and then musical ideas eventually appear....it may take days for them to arrive.
It seems hard to translate feelings or ideas into sounds, but I go with my first idea, and revise later.
Garageband, a Mac music program, has all the sound FX.

Thank you all for your support. I am so grateful to have found all of you.
Slim X

sigiriuk

In a nutshell, it allows me to reflect.
I grew up around three people who lacked the ability to reflect on their action. They did criticise however.
Up until recently, I believed that being self critical was the same as reflectiveness.
It isnt at all....in fact I am leaning this new skill.

Elphanigh

I love this Slim. As a musician myself, this is amazing to me. I have my degree in music performance and have always played part of my emotions out in music. However not like you are describing by making sounds, I find it fascinating. I adore that it is something that is helping you reflect

sigiriuk

Quote from: Elphanigh on October 11, 2017, 05:49:13 PM
As a musician myself, this is amazing to me. I have my degree in music performance
I recommend it as there are things we musicians can only say in music.
Slim

hank

Elphanigh

Thank you both for sharing! I am trying to heal some old wounds to get back to playing. This is helping inspire that

sigiriuk

Quote from: Elphanigh on October 12, 2017, 02:37:13 PM
Thank you both for sharing! I am trying to heal some old wounds to get back to playing. This is helping inspire that
That's great news Elphanigh, and I am really happy for you. Have a big grin on my face as I am writing. You must be really proud of yourself !

(Jim Morrison wrote: Music is your special friend, dance on fire as it intends)

Slim

sigiriuk

Quote from: hank on October 12, 2017, 01:09:15 PM
Here's what I have been saying......
I love mandolin! My fingers are too pudgy to play it.
Good stuff man, and it takes courage to post anything creative, when we have this illness.
Slim

Elphanigh

It is a mixed feeling Slim, bu glad to have finally played again. It had been four months since I played a note. I missed it, but there are a lot of old wounds there