Health Concerns but Money an Issue

Started by Phoebes, October 25, 2017, 01:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

Firstly, I believe a symptom of my N-abuse could be, or is, that I have a high tolerance for pain, it takes me a long time to take action on health issues as I don't think of them as a big deal (or maybe in denial), and I downplay things..

A few weeks ago, I had a very sharp shooting pain in the "appendix" area that lasted 2 days before I finally went to urgent care (because it was then Saturday). They sent me to the regular emergency room, which I didn't want them to because of the high copay and cost. But I went, they did a blood and urine test, no appendicitis. That cost 250 copay plus lab charges (200). I've had a bloated abdomen for weeks, had an ultrasound, and it showed nothing.

Then I had an accident on my bike and banged up my arm pretty bad. There happened to be festival emt's in the area and they came over and found that I had very low blood pressure and that I needed to be still and see if it would come back on it's own. THey put me inthe ambulance to cool off and monitor me, but I asked if it would cost and they said no. I was thinking if it cost I couldn't pay and I would just sit there in the shade until I could walk home. They were too kind and actually gave me a ride, bike and all.

Now, since yesterday evening, I've had a heavy and "gassy" feeling in my chest. It may be gas, but it's higher in my chest and radiating to my back.  Still bloated abdomen with occasional pains. I really want to go to the doc because I'm really concerned of this chest pain. But, I cannot afford any more co-pays or tests. I often wake up in the night to rapid and pounding heart rate. If this doesn't let up soon I will probably try to get in to the regular doc this afternoon.

I have insurance, but still. I hear of people going to the doc and ER all the time for this and that, and I know they don't have any more money than me. I just don't want to accumulate all of that debt. Or is that what happens?