Ignore List vs. Blocking

Started by Cascade, April 14, 2024, 03:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

Hi Kizzie,
Can you help me understand what happens if I add a member to the Ignore List in my profile?  Does this block the person from replying to a post I start?

Or, does it simply not show me any of their posts on any threads?  This might make further posts from others a little confusing if they reference the ignored post.

Just wondering, thanks!
   -Cascade

Kizzie

Hey Cascade, I honestly don't know for sure.  We could try it though.  If you want to block me and then let me know the link to you post I'll see if I can see it #1 and if I can reply #2.

I've never had anyone use the feature before so it would be good for me to know.  You can use my email in case for some reason it affects PMing too.  It's l.herod@yahoo.ca.

Blueberry

Cascade, I've just tried it out, just out of interest.

I see the name of the person I'm ignoring on the forum, but instead of the post, I see a yellow bar informing me that I'm ignoring the person. On the yellow bar there is also the option to read the post after all.

I can also edit my Ignore List and retract ignoring this person. So let the experimentation begin!

I don't know about PM, so if you experiment on that with Kizzie it would be cool if you let us know here on the thread :) unless it's me you're Ignoring in which case maybe Kizzie will let us know ;D

Kizzie

I tried it too and see the yellow bar but the question is can that person see our posts and reply?  BB I am going to add you to my ignore list - can you let me know if you can still see my posts and reply to them? I'll make a post to you in this section.

You learn something new every day around here  ;D

Cascade

Wow, you two are rockin' this out!  In case there are differences for someone with Administrator access, I will add you both to my Ignore List and then also make a new post in this area.

Thanks for your help and understanding my delay this morning while my brain gets in gear to "work," lol.
   -Cascade

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on April 15, 2024, 02:44:41 PMI tried it too and see the yellow bar but the question is can that person see our posts and reply?  BB I am going to add you to my ignore list - can you let me know if you can still see my posts and reply to them? I'll make a post to you in this section.

You learn something new every day around here  ;D

Yup, you do learn something new every day but more specifically YES I can read your post and even copy it to reply as you can see ;D

Kizzie

I can see your post Cascade. BB I didn't see your reply, just the yellow bar but as soon as I clicked on "See This Post" there it was and here I am replying to both.  :Idunno:

I'm not sure this is terribly helpful for you Cascade. Maybe that's why no-one has used this feature in the past.  One of the downsides to a public forum I guess; there are always members you don't especially want to interact with. 

Blueberry

Quote from: Blueberry on April 15, 2024, 09:26:47 AMI don't know about PM, so if you experiment on that with Kizzie it would be cool if you let us know here on the thread

I'm on Cascade's Ignore List (for the experiment). When I attempted a PM, I got a pretty clear message in red: User 'Cascade' has blocked your personal message.

Same with Kizzie, so you being Admin makes no difference here. You can block / ignore me with impunity ;)

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on April 15, 2024, 03:26:33 PMI can see your post Cascade. BB I didn't see your reply, just the yellow bar but as soon as I clicked on "See This Post" there it was and here I am replying to both.  :Idunno:

I'm not sure this is terribly helpful for you Cascade. Maybe that's why no-one has used this feature in the past.  One of the downsides to a public forum I guess; there are always members you don't especially want to interact with. 

Well, I don't know about Cascade, but I could find this useful. Say if I get triggered every time I read a particular mbr's posts, then it would be helpful for me to ignore/block because then I wouldn't be tempted to read or my eye wouldn't catch the post by mistake. Also the person couldn't PM me, even if they wanted to. I guess I'm saying it could help me to dis-engage.

Kizzie

Oh that's why I could send a PM, I'm the Admin so the features don't work for me.  :doh: Well, it's helpful to know Cascade you won't receive any PMs and can ignore whomever's posts at least.

Cascade

:applause:   You're both awesome!  Thanks for all your help.  It's definitely good information.

Whew, it feels good to get you both off my Ignore List now. ;D
   -Cascade

Kizzie

BB and I have been here for a very long time so it's almost fun to figure something like this out.  ;D

Blueberry