Helpful Meditation App to Suggest

Started by ImaSurvivor, October 31, 2017, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImaSurvivor

Hello OOTSers,

I'm a newbie to this site and am so grateful for all of the information and stories shared.

I wanted to add my own contribution in hope that it helps some of you as it's helped me.

I've not been big on meditation in the past.  However, in light of recent traumatic events in my life, it's become a really effective, healthy coping mechanism that I use, especially before I go to sleep and when I wake up to start my day.

It's a free app called 'Insight Timer' (https://insighttimer.com/).  It gives you a variety of free meditations that you can choose based on whatever works for you (we are all different of course).  You can find ones to relax, be mindful, stress and anxiety, sleep, etc.  You can also choose the length of the meditation and or whether you want it to be guided or just soothing sounds in the background.

I was skeptical at first too but I learned to let go and just follow.

It's worked well for me so far and I hope it can for you too :)

RecoveryRandal

I *love* Insight Timer and highly recommend it, too.

While I've meditated off and on for many years, Insight Timer helped me to establish a daily meditation routine over the past year.

Elphanigh

I just got this a week or so ago. My T recommended it, and it has gone so very well

bhupendra

This App and some of the guided meditations in it are proving quite helpful.
Thank you ImaSurvivor for sharing.

Snookiebookie

Hi

I can highly recommend this app too. 

You can search for guided meditations by category i.e healing, and then by sub categories i.e email healing. You can filter by time, female/male voice, with or without background music, with our without religious content. You can also search by rating, number of plays or length of time (to suit how much time you have available).  You can bookmark favourite meditations too.

The great thing is it's free, and you can dip in and out as often as you like. You can also set it to log milestones. Milestones are earned for every 10 consecutive days, or every 50 non consecutive days.  This gives me an incentive to use the app, to keep building my milestones.

There is also a timer, if you don't want to use the guided meditations. You can set this for a specified time, with or without interim chimes, with or without an ending chime.  I have mine set for five minutes, with chimes every minute. I just focus on my breath, and the chimes give me an indication of how long is left. Although, I still drift of into my thoughts - but I'm still practicing.

Both guided meditation and the timer count towards your milestones.  So you can swap and change, and choose which you want to do depending on how you feel that day.

It's really flexible, and easy to use. I love it.