Prolonged exposure therapy

Started by caroline, October 31, 2017, 11:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caroline

I have recently started prolonged exposure therapy.  we have done alot of prep work and next Monday i am going to be talking about one of my more persistent flashbacks.

The session is going to be 90 mins and recorded.  I'll be expected to listen to it  between sessions.

I don't know how i'm going to get actual words out.

Have any of you ever done this type of therapy?  The aim seems to be to desensitise me to what happened to process the memory.

Any input very welcome!!

Blueberry

I'm not sure what exposure therapy is, since I'm not in an English-speaking country. Could it be something similar to what I've described here http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=7643.0 ?

I know about exposure therapy as a method for dealing with panic/fear, eg. you're frightened to get on a bus, so you practise riding buses, but that's not what you can mean here!

caroline

Thanks Blueberry,

Here is a link that kind of describes it
https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/therapy-med/prolonged-exposure-therapy.asp

I'm going to be asked to talk about my worst memory repetedly until it is processed.  Alongside this i am working on doing things that remind me of trauma. So i had to put together a list and i start by doing the one that is easiest, so for me having my hair played with or pulled.

It feels pretty horrible to imagine having to say this stuff out loud.  I will also be asked to listen to a recording of the session in my own time.

I like your Screen processing way better!

sanmagic7

caroline, to tell you the truth, it even sounds pretty horrible to have to repeat that stuff over and over.  i've told my story a few times, but some parts i just don't want to repeat at all.  too emotional, too stressful, too overwhelming.  but that's just me.  maybe it's just what will work well for you.

best to you with this.  i'll be interested to see how it works for you.  big hug filled with comfort and care.