Reminder

Started by Three Roses, November 03, 2017, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Roses

Hi Everyone - As you may know (and some newer members may not know), often the Mod Squad will post reminders here if posts are straying from a particular guideline. Today's reminder is about name calling.

It is completely acceptable to say, "I do not like how this person is treating me." However, it contravenes our Guidelines to say, "So-and-so is a jerk." Many of us, myself included, have resorted to name-calling, but it is not in keeping with the spirit of this Forum, which is to focus on our recovery.

Our Forum is a place of healing and searching for ways to recover from the abuse we've endured. Some of this abuse has been verbal, in the form of name calling. We have learned it honestly, but it now should have no place in our recovery. If we say, "She's a so-and-so", are we not resorting to the very dysfunctional behavior that helped bring us here? It doesn't matter that the person won't hear it - it is still name-calling. This has an effect on you as well.

I'm not singling out any one person in particular, as I've noticed several recent posts and just thought we could all use a little friendly reminder. I am speaking to myself here as much as to everyone else. Thanks for listening! :D