Employment Related Development of CPTSD

• 10 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Out of the Storm
Employment Related Development of CPTSD
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:18:51 AM »
The workplace conditions identified below can lead to the development of Complex PTSD given the person is exposed to ongoing and thus cumulative trauma (either interpersonal or impersonal), from which there is no real or perceived escape (e.g., afraid of not being believed and/or losing job if speak up). If you are aware of any other situations or relevant resources, please add it in a post to the thread or PM Kizzie. 

Bullying/Harassment
Police, Corrections, Military
Emergency Services/Management (e.g., ER Medicine, EMTs, Firefighting)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:41:52 PM by Kizzie »
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion - Dalai Lama

When it comes to trauma, time does NOT heal all wounds.  It is embodied deeply in our heart (spirit), mind & body and requires compassionate, knowledgeable treatment and self-care.

thetruth

• View Profile
Re: Employment Related Development of CPTSD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:39:59 AM »
The workplace conditions identified below can lead to the development of Complex PTSD given the person is exposed to ongoing and thus cumulative trauma (either interpersonal or impersonal), from which there is no real or perceived escape (e.g., afraid of not being believed and/or losing job if speak up). If you are aware of any other situations or relevant resources, please add it in a post to the thread or PM Kizzie. 

Bullying/Harassment
Police, Corrections, Military
Emergency Services/Management (e.g., ER Medicine, EMTs, Firefighting)

Dear Kizzie,

The words you have posted above are a tonic to my mind. I have never been able to adequately articulate 'ongoing and thus cumulative trauma'. After 4 years of abuse my employer  addressed my stressful outbursts as if they were mysterious and signs of deep personal emotional instability. They were the fruits of cumulative trauma at his hand. My doctor was equally obtuse.

Thank you so much.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Out of the Storm
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
You are so very welcome, I am glad to hear this has validated your experience.  Those who abuse are quite skilled at making those they abuse look bad and it doesn't help that of course we are emotional. We've been traumatized and being emotional is a normal, natural reaction.   I hope more and more people who endure abuse in the workplace find their way here or to sites like this one.  Collectively we can validate one another and hopefully bring this kind of traumatization out into the open. 
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion - Dalai Lama

When it comes to trauma, time does NOT heal all wounds.  It is embodied deeply in our heart (spirit), mind & body and requires compassionate, knowledgeable treatment and self-care.

thetruth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:57:27 PM »
Absolutely Kizzie, a supportive voice of reason can be found here. This is so important for people coming out of years of misrepresentation and the refusal of others to tell the truth.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Out of the Storm
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »
 :thumbup:  and  :hug:

thetruth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 08:49:57 AM »
Hi,

Ive just been told that what I am describing isnt really cptsd by a psychiatrist.  2  things on that, I know my communication of what I am experiencing was poor. I failed to adequately inform the psychiatrist of what I went through and what it has done to me ( you have 1 hour to explain years of experiences).

The other thing is, the psychiatrist told me that cptsd is a relatively new term that applies to people who have had difficult childhoods which results in them having peculiar behaviours and responses in adulthood. I'd like feedback on this please?

In other words, he was telling me that I cant have cptsd and it wasnt open for discussion.

He has recommended antipsychotic meds and CBT to help me move on from  my troublesome rumination and anxiety.

The one last thing I would like to add here is that this doctor did not explore my grievances about the handling of my case by my gp of the time. He clearly didnt want to go there.

I feel the assessment was an abject failure to assess what I am dealing with. I did a bad job of stating my case and the psychiatrist cherry picked what he wanted to talk about.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:07:57 AM by thetruth »

thetruth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
If only I had brought the above links about ongoing and cumulative stress. I totally failed.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Out of the Storm
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
Is there any reason you can't go back?  In addition to those links you could fill out the Symptoms form and take it and one of the two info sheets for professionals by the Blue Knot Foundation to the appt (see http://www.outofthestorm.website/downloads/). 

If you do go back you can also let the P know that Complex PTSD will be included in the WHO ICD-11 this year (See https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56983ac169492ecf0c7dc1c7/t/5980e6d6e6f2e1738e192155/1501619930839/Hyland+et+al+Construct+Validity+of+CPTSD+2017.pdf), and give him/her a link to our "Research" section here - http://www.outofthestorm.website/academic-articles/.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:39:22 AM by Kizzie »

thetruth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Thanks a lot for this Kizzie. I really appreciate it. The psychiatrist has said he doesnt need to see me for any follow up. I have however emailed his secretary (this is private care) to ask how I might contact him in private. I want to explain how poorly the hour was used to put forward my case, partly due to poor preparation by me before going.

Thank you!!

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Out of the Storm
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 04:12:24 AM »
I hope it goes well  :yes:

thetruth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 08:05:30 AM »
I hope it goes well  :yes:

Thank you Kizzie. Just been for a run. It didnt do me any harm.