Seeing a new therapist tomorrow. Feeling very apprehensive

Started by songbirdrosa, November 15, 2017, 04:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

songbirdrosa

I've had a rough time with trying to find a new psychologist since I moved. I knew I couldn't afford to go privately, so I went through a victim's support service who offers a certain number of sessions for free to victims of violent crime. The first one I was assigned never returned my calls. The second one was a man who research revealed had no background in trauma or abuse therapy. Now I've been handed another and her website isn't helping my nerves. It says her primary approach is CBT which has been very much not helpful in the past, usually only causing me further stress because I simply can't do it.

Maybe I'm just nervous because I had such a good rapport with my last psychologist and I'm worried that won't happen again. Hopefully it'll all turn out ok.

woodsgnome

Best wishes for this venture, despite your initial misgivings. Your awareness of the ins/outs of this relationship at least shows progress in being able to discern the various layers of therapy process and the critical role of finding common ground that seems comfortable enough to proceed with.

Knowledge is one thing, but reaching that feeling of connection where the possibilities can open up is key. So important, though, that you go in better aware of what you need. Again, wishing you well.  :hug:

Dee

My therapist does CBT and it is her, not the approach that works for me.  She can be flexible to my needs. 

Perhaps the best approach is to let her know your concerns.  That would be difficult for me for there would be a lot of insight for you.

sanmagic7

just curious - does it have to be a psychologist that you see?  would a trauma therapist be helpful?  you may have more luck finding a therapist that is a good fit for you, mainly cuz there are more of them.  just a thought.  big hug, songbird

Eyessoblue

I agree, Cbt to me was a complete 6 weeks of wasted time. Seeing a proper trauma therapist is what has helped me, someone who actually understands and knows what trauma is, this is what you need.

Blueberry

Quote from: woodsgnome on November 15, 2017, 05:12:51 AM
Best wishes for this venture, despite your initial misgivings. Your awareness of the ins/outs of this relationship at least shows progress in being able to discern the various layers of therapy process and the critical role of finding common ground that seems comfortable enough to proceed with.

Knowledge is one thing, but reaching that feeling of connection where the possibilities can open up is key. So important, though, that you go in better aware of what you need. Again, wishing you well.  :hug:

:yeahthat:

plus I've been really helped since I found a trauma therapist I can work with, a trauma T who 'gets' me and my past and ensuing problems.

songbirdrosa

So it turned out that my anxiety was making a big deal over not much again. (That's certainly never happened before!)

It went really well. She made some plans to tackle the 'simpler' issues first e.g. sleep, stress management, then see what surfaces after that.

I'm feeling really good about where this is going  :)

sanmagic7

i am sooooo glad to hear that, songbird.  yay.  sounds like a lovely approach, slow but on the money for what you need right now.   here's to more of these types of helpful sessions in the future.   big hug.

Blueberry