Was this normal in the 70s?

Started by Gentian, August 13, 2017, 07:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoebes

Oh god I remember the noxema. I'd been thinking of this thread. It made me think of a lot of things like this, where Nm and Ngm were always making statements like they were the authorities on everything, but in reality, they didn't know what they were talking about, often to a downright dangerous degree. We kids didn't know any better.

Regular sunburns were definitely a thing. We did have one bottle of 4 lotion that we had for years, if that says how much it was used. It was more for getting a dark tan than for blocking the sun. Who puts that on kids?

The other topic was seat belts. Since we learned at school we should be wearing seat belts, and I had always ridden in the front seat, standing up holding on to the head rest as a very young child, I questioned my mom. She flew into a rage and from that point on kept repeating a story of how some acquaintance of their family had been riding in a jeep in the country and it flipped, sending people flying through they air, but they lived. The doctor (why?) said if they had been buckled in, the jeep would have crushed them. So from that moment, our family deemed seatbelts unsafe (but I grew up in the city where cars smashed into each other all the time).

When I was a teen in the passenger side, my Nm got pulled over by the police and given a ticket for no seat belt, but he commented, why does your daughter have one on and not you? She glared at me, and when he turned and walked away she launched into a rage/tirade about how I better not open my gd mouth or mention this ever again or there was going to be * to pay. (When was there not?) but I digress.