Cognitive behavioral therapy

Started by BlancaLap, November 30, 2017, 04:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlancaLap

Does it help? Does it help you with dissociation?

Eyessoblue

Hi there, in my own personal experience no it didn't, obviously everyone gets something different from each type of therapy, I had this for 6 weeks and found it a complete waste of time. I have been having EMDR therapy tho and that works really well for me and I disassociate a lot but again I know of people who disassociate who it doesn't work well for. Unfortunately it's just a case of choosing what is right for each individual.

Dee

It helps me.  I learn what my triggers are and how to focus on the here and now.

Rainagain

I didn't get on with it years ago, it might help me now I'm in a different place, hard to know.

Rainagain

I think there is trauma focussed CBT, I had the other sort.

kperr692

:stars:  I have been in CBT for over a year.  My clinician keeps pushing toward simple PTSD resulting from my son's death.  I have asked her to focus on the complex side since there have been so many other events contributing to my complex PTSD.  To make things worse she causes a trigger when she refers to my son, when I am speaking about child abuse, sex abuse, kidnapped children, etc.

Has anyone been successful in redirecting their therapist to treat complex PTSD?

Three Roses

Hello! My HMO does not recognize CPTSD as separate from PTSD. I had several discussions with my therapist about this and finally suspended therapy until I can get trauma-informed care. My therapist encouraged me to write to the HMO and push for recognition of CPTSD.

So the short answer is, I didn't have any luck yet in this.

We have printable material for you to take to therapists, doctors, etc. Maybe something there may help - http://www.outofthestorm.website/downloads/

BlancaLap

Quote from: kperr692 on December 09, 2017, 04:30:12 PM
:stars:  I have been in CBT for over a year.  My clinician keeps pushing toward simple PTSD resulting from my son's death.  I have asked her to focus on the complex side since there have been so many other events contributing to my complex PTSD.  To make things worse she causes a trigger when she refers to my son, when I am speaking about child abuse, sex abuse, kidnapped children, etc.

Has anyone been successful in redirecting their therapist to treat complex PTSD?

I'm sorry but I don't think she is a good therapist... someone that triggers you? Someone that doesn't take details into account? Someone that is unable to think about other possibilities apart from the "obvious one"? I don't know WHY she keeps telling you that you have Simple PTSD if you have suffered other things... (IDK what other things can be but I suppose that you refer to some kind of abuse during your childhood?)