Reminder: Difference ICr and IC

Started by Blueberry, November 30, 2017, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

Quote from: Three Roses on September 14, 2017, 10:56:51 PM
Officially, IC is inner child and ICr is inner critic.

I would like to remind all posters of this distinction. It is not always clear when IC is used for Inner Critic. I found the swapping of these acronyms especially confusing when i was new on the forum. Also some of us have ICs (Inner Children) who are critical, they're not always sweet little lambs. So a critical sounding quote could be from an IC, not necessarily from an ICr.

BlancaLap

Thanks, I'm a little confused by these acronyms. If you could fo a list with all of them, sure it will help.

Blueberry

The acronyms are listed here http://www.outofthestorm.website/acronyms/

If you come across any others, you can add them here http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=7354.0 or you can ask directly on the board what they mean.  :yes:

BlancaLap

Contessa

A suggestion, perhaps apply:

ICr    - inner critic
ICh   - inner child
IChr - critical inner child

Just a thought to make the distinction completely unambiguous.

Blueberry

Thanks for the suggestion Contessa. I'll pass the suggestion on to the other Mods, but I'm sure we won't be deciding soon because there is still some work behind the scenes left over from the crash.

Also everybody needs to kind of simmer down and pick up the pieces again, whether 'just' members or Mods and Admins. We're all 'just' members too, the crash wasn't necessarily an easy time for us either.

Contessa

Appreciated Blueberry. You're doing a tremendous job, and there are most certainly other priorities to address right now. Consider the suggestion as a placemarker for down the track.

alliematt

Quote from: Contessa on February 03, 2018, 09:28:08 PM

ICr    - inner critic
ICh   - inner child

And something that may be funny/not funny:  I have a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis, and when *I* see "IC", THAT is what I think of first!  :))

I hear you all when you say that the website crash wasn't easy for you all.  Thank you for all the work you did behind the scenes.

Elphanigh

Thank you both! Contessa we will definitely look at it later. I like your phrasing it as a placemarker for later.  :hug:

Alliematt, it is interesting to see someone think of something else when they see IC. Thank for sharing, it is an abbreivation that I used to have a different reading of too :)

Contessa

Alliematt I nod with chuckleworthy agreement.
I come across acronyms for company names emblazoned on signs for maximum public exposure, that are also unfortunately acronyms for very personal medical conditions too.

Blueberry

Quote from: Contessa on February 03, 2018, 09:28:08 PM

ICr    - inner critic
ICh   - inner child

So just getting back to this, we mods have discussed and have decided to leave Inner Child as IC and Inner Critic as ICr, partly because Inner Child as IC comes up in other places too, not just this forum. We don't see a need for IChr because critical inner child doesn't come up that often, and if it did, mbrs can use critical IC.

There's also the fact that you can make up rules, but whether people follow them is a different matter  ;) We mods didn't discuss that but I know it's true. I tend to hope rules help but they don't necessarily. So we could end up with IC and ICh being used for inn.child and IC and ICr for inn.critic and even more confusion :stars:   In early days here on the forum when I was confused about whether IC meant Inn.Child or Inn.Critic, I wouldn't have dared ask in-thread, but I'm hoping other people will if they're confused.  :yes:

Thanks for the suggestion though Contessa! A non-Mod perspective and idea is a good thing to discuss.