Creativity when drinking

Started by Eyessoblue, December 01, 2017, 07:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyessoblue

Hi everyone, a really random question here, but when I've been drinking I get really creative, all I want to do is write poetry and create blogs about feelings, I know you probably all think I'm completely mad but when I've had a drink I'm bursting with creativity as you've probably seen on some of my so called 'poetry exhibits '. I know I'm not going to win an award for them lol but I get this burst of expressive creativity and feel I have to write it out. What is that all about?? I'm a bit confused with myself as to why I do that, is it normal? Does anyone else get like that? Probably not think it's just part of 'me'! I'm back in therapy in 2 weeks time, been signed off for 6 weeks due to nhs guidelines so looking forward if that's the right thing to say in going back and trying to be made 'normal' again!!

Three Roses

I don't have insight but wanted to say I feel (felt) a bit more creative when drinking, too - maybe lowered inhibitions?  :Idunno:

Eyessoblue

Kat

It's a wonderful question, Eyessoblue.  I know what you mean.  I've experienced it.  I've often thought that I'm actually very literate and creative when I'm drunk.  You'd think it would be difficult to put together a meaningful sentence in that state.  This may be a totally generalization, but it seems that many of the great writers had (have) problems with alcohol.  Are they just great writers who happen to also be drunks or does the drunkenness help with the writing?  Hmm... 

Three Roses, I think the lowered inhibitions thing might just be it.  Someone needs to do a study.  ;)

Eyessoblue

Kat, yes I agree, I seem more intelligent when I'm drunk and can have the most deep intelligent conversations! Isn't it strange, yes a study should definitely be done on this.

sanmagic7

i agree about the lowered inhibitions.  if you think about it, any activity in the area of the creative arts can be scary cuz you're putting your 'self' out there in public, to be seen, heard, read, and possibly/probably judged.  being aware of that beforehand could inhibit someone from giving it a go.

loosen those inhibitions up, and 'i don't care' comes to the fore, along with one's own brand of creativity.  the thing is, and i heard this over and over in recovery groups - anything we do drunk we have the ability to do sober.  if it's in there, it's in there no matter how we are or are not altering our reality with chemicals.

i don't know so much that we're more creative when we're drunk, just that we're not as afraid of showing our creativity.  that's why drinking has been called 'bottled courage'.  same for those conversations.  sober, you might be afraid to put your opinions out there.  i'm not judging anyone here, i've been there, done that myself.  just some things i've learned along the way.

so, may i encourage your creativity to shine when you're sober?  it must be right at the edge if it bursts forth so readily as soon as you're drunk.  you've got it in you, esb, of that i have no doubt.  i think it might be an interesting, mindful  experiment.  just my thoughts.   i don't think you're a bit mad at all.  i wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some research already been done on this.  probably in a psych library.   big hug.

Eyessoblue

Thank you SanMagic yes you're right in what you say, I need to open up my creativity, just lack of belief in myself I think is what holds me back.

Driftwood

Also, understand that art is subjective. There is no such thing as bad art so long as you express yourself. :)

If you're like me, you have trouble expressing your thoughts  in conversation (especially pain, I was never allowed to show that I hurt).

I also find getting everything out is highly therapeutic. Even if no one reads/sees your art - it helps organize your thoughts so you can explain things better the next time you have to put them to words.

Hope that helps. Just watch out for letting too many drinks become a habit/self medication. A nasty habit I realize I have and I'm trying to kick as well.