Review Board?

Started by Jazzy, December 04, 2017, 04:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzy

Is there any type of review board, or some governing body that holds therapists accountable? I know there is such an organization for doctors, but not therapists. I've only seen a few therapists, but they've left a negative impression on me, and scared me away from getting help I need.

In the interest of both protecting others, and for a better chance next time, any sort of system that holds therapists accountable would be really helpful.

Blueberry

This will certainly depend on what country you are in! You do not have to disclose that here on the forum, although you could to get specific information. I'm 99% certain that I'm not in your country.

In my country therapists need a certain type of accreditation in order for their services to be covered by public health insurance, but that doesn't weed out all potentially damaging ones, as I have discovered.

I get triggered trying to hold therapists accountable, though I have tried it. For me, it's like trying to hold abusers accountable.  :spooked:  Big EF terrain. :fallingbricks:

I applaud your idea. Very brave and altruistic.

sanmagic7

i'm originally from another state in the u.s. (so i don't know how it works in all states) but there was a state board to whom i reported my first t.  yes, t's have to take an accreditation/licensing exam, and have a year of supervision, but that means nothing when the t is out on their own.  we are the only ones who have the ability to report wrongdoing, ethical infractions, and the like.

it certainly can be difficult to do this, as blueberry said.  it took me 8 yrs. after i left this t of  trying to get stable enough before i could do the actual reporting.  i'm very glad i did it, tho.  are you thinking of taking this step or were you just curious?   

Rainagain

Jazzy
I would put your energy into finding a therapist you can talk to rather than wasting your energy fighting the poor ones you have met previously.
I have been misled by poor therapists, have had one who was simply useless in every way, it goes on. I think everyone has had poor outcomes and experiences with therapists, unless it was really bad practice I would try to move on.

Its your recovery and not their ability that matters. Put yourself first, be kind to you.

Jazzy

You all make some very good points. My plan at this point is to write out my concerns, then begin working with a therapist I'm comfortable with. After that is take care of, I will return to this idea.

Tomorrow would have been my 4th session with this therapist. I called to cancel my appointment, and his secretary told me I was not even booked in.

I think it would be good to report this therapist. Among other things, he directly triggered me on my second visit, with something I brought up with him the first time. It wasn't a nice, let's walk you through the scenario kind of thing either. I think that's a lot more harmful than good, and at least speaking my piece will make me feel better than keeping it to myself.

With that said, I am open to suggestions and feedback.

Blueberry

In my country as far as I know, I could have complained to my medical insurance company, but the act of making an official complaint and logically writing it all out and proving it would have sent me spinning into a big EF.

I think we're in a weaker position than therapists, just by the nature of our diagnoses. Maybe my thoughts on this are coming from a place of EF and isn't actually true, Idk. But telling new therapists / psychiatrists that I thought I'd been retraumatised by a previous therapist led to a very quick diagnosis of BPD because Borderlines apparently revere a person and then do a round of all out criticism. That's actually not my problem, that's not how I generally act, but what could I do when a therapist brushed off my criticism of previous T? I didn't go back to the 'diagnoser' and kept looking for somebody else to work with.

Though I do think you're brave to want to take this to a review board, I also agree with Rainagain that putting yourself and healing in first place has priority.

I'm going to give you a link to some information I started out writing right in this response but then decided to post separately. It might help you, if not, ignore http://outofthefog.net/C-PTSD/forum/index.php?topic=8370.0

sanmagic7

if it's going to make you feel better to do it, then go ahead (my opinion). 

the t i reported was blatantly unethical with me for years on several levels, and i had proof of some of that when i sent in my report.   they did go to investigate her, to take a look at her records (which i'd made a copy of that she'd been treating me and my hubby at the same time i was employed by her) but she said those had been destroyed. 

they couldn't do anything because the regulations about dual relationships with a therapist went into effect 2 yrs. after this had happened.  still, they told me that, yes, what she'd done was wrong, and if the regs would've been in effect, she would have been held accountable.  so, no justice, but the validation was enough, and i knew that a complaint against her was on record.

the therapist that i just quit seeing was basically useless to me, but i'm not going to report her.  she didn't do anything blatantly 'wrong' in my opinion, just wasn't right for me.   the t i reported harmed me and my family, which is why i reported her.  she should not have been a therapist.  she did more than make a mistake, which i can understand.  this was  8 years of  ethical abuse/trauma that i underwent.   

i think you need to do what feels right for you.  it's a personal thing.  this is just my experience and thoughts about it.  i do hope you find someone who will help you get to where you're going, and give you what you need, tho.  that would be ideal.  big hug.

Jazzy

Thanks everyone! It's really frustrating how much work our mental health system needs. You are right though, I really need to put myself first, and be careful.

8 years is a long time sanmagic7, that sounds terrible. I'm really glad you've moved on to better, and were able to get the complaint on record.

ah

I agree, it's a personal decision and not an easy one. I've thought about it too.

Years back, I was in university and I saw a therapist once, more to ask for professional advice at the time than for anything more like therapy but she twisted it her way, I guess. It took me a while to realize what she was doing and then I froze... she was really sadistically unethical. Stunningly cruel.

I considered reporting her, daydreamed of reporting her for a long time, because after talking to others I realized she hurt many people. She's a predator. But I had no proof, nothing but my word. If she realized I was on to her she'd go after me, and she'd win. She's a psychopath, and I don't get into duels with them, they're exceptionally good at being cruel and lying and I'm not so they'd win  :blink:

It did hurt like * though. She was so awful I can't even describe it. Knew exactly what buttons to push to break me completely and then destroyed me professionally just for the fun of it.

I feel ill when I remember her, thinking of all the people she keeps hurting. If I had a recording of our session I might pursue it but as it was, I consider her as another abuser I was powerless to stop. No happy ending, just pain.

I don't know if letting it go was the right thing to do or not. Frankly, I don't think there's any chance of things feeling right once we meet one of these twisted individuals... except running away at full speed. I was so bruised by what she did to me personally and professionally that it never healed. I focused on trying to get better and accepted I didn't have the power to stop her. Maybe I felt overly helpless, I don't know. But I dropped it and licked my wounds. I put myself first.

I'm glad and relieved your experience with this creepy, scary t was short lived. You protected yourself by seeing right through him :applause:

I've seen so many of these sorts of people in authority positions like therapists and doctors, where they get a nearly endless supply of control and pain to enjoy. :spooked:

Keep looking for a good one? You now know what the wrong, unethical ones look like and you can protect yourself even more quickly as you search for the good ones out there.