How to make progress?

Started by Jazzy, December 05, 2017, 03:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazzy

After making the decision today to stop sessions with my current therapist, I am looking for a new one. This is extremely frustrating, and I don't really know how to make progress.

A few examples of why this is so difficult:

• My legal status is disabled, but no 1:1 therapy is covered.
  • The local psychologist association only lists 1 person in my city that works with PTSD (CPTSD isn't even an option)
  • Over the years of dealing with people in this area, I don't take any of them seriously as professionals.

I don't even know right now, I'm stuck spinning my mental wheels. 

Three Roses

Would online counseling work for you? I'm considering looking for someone who can Skype or something with me....

Jazzy

I think that's my only realistic option if I can manage the financial aspect of it.

I just spoke with an intake worker at our regional mental health facility over the phone, who asked me all kinds of questions about what I've been through, triggering the * out of me until I could not speak. After it got to that point, she signed me up for a group starting next fall.

I'm so * pissed off. Why the * does everyone I go to for help trigger me and then leave me alone to deal with the consequences?!

Three Roses

Sorry to hear you were triggered do badly.  :hug:

Blueberry

Quote from: jazzy on December 05, 2017, 04:27:56 PM
Why the * does everyone I go to for help trigger me and then leave me alone to deal with the consequences?!

I'm sorry! This used to happen to me all the time too. Idk why the therapists and docs have to do it that way!  :pissed: :pissed:

Jazzy

Thank you for the replies. I'm sorry to be a nuisance. I was dangerously upset, so I spent a couple hours talking to the urgent response team in the city.

I've calmed down quite a bit, but I'm dumbstruck by this. A doctor/therapist, I understand only has so much time. They guide you through things in a safe (as possible) setting, but an intake worker interviewing you over the phone about your traumas like you're booking a vacation getaway for next year is absurd.

Anyway... thanks for putting up with my triggered ranting.

Resca

Quote from: jazzy on December 05, 2017, 07:06:17 PM
...but an intake worker interviewing you over the phone about your traumas like you're booking a vacation getaway for next year is absurd.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through this addition trauma - which is exactly what it was - especially when your only goal was to get help. It's amazing how many people work in the mental health field as ancillary employees but don't have the basic empathetic skill set required to work with people who are suffering. You deserve better care. I hope that you're able to find a practice that will serve you in all way, not just in the therapist's office.

Good luck :hug:

sanmagic7

LittleBird

I'd contradict that Resca. I wouldn't know how the staff feel, but I couldn't do their job. I feel frustrated sometimes at the way things are and what feels like slow going. My situation is minimal compared to others though, although I'm sorry if you've had difficult experiences.

Three Roses

In my opinion, intake workers should be aware of the need to be sensitive and caring. That being said, they're still human. Sometimes people rub us the wrong way, not from mistakes they're making but because we are wounded - triggered, or in a flashback. Don't give up trying to get help, most of us don't get a good match they first time around.